X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC queries

Hi,

New SMAC'ian here.

Got fed up with Civ IV and found this gem instead hehe.

Could someone tell me if this is normal behaviour with the game please?

I'm using Win XP Pro SP2. Pentium 4 2.4Ghz. SMAC patched to v4, then the XP compatibility patch applied , so the about' screen shows it as v5.0.

With the Windows calculator, to use the numpad number keys, Num Lock has to be turned ON. However, in SMAC, I can only control movement direction using the numpad keys if Num Lock is turned OFF! Is that normal?

Also, like Civ IV, from the moment the game is launched the CPU utilization is 100% and stays like that all the time! Damn...

I checked the CPU temperature and the system with a few apps running in the background produces an 'idle' temp of 42C or so.

With SMAC running at 100% CPU, the temp slowly rises to 58C. It doesn't seem to get any hotter than that, but it's still a worrying rise nonetheless. Anyway to make it 'idle'?

I think the problem is the bink(?) video player? You used to get this with some of those old adventure games like Gabriel Knight 1 and 2, Obsidian, and I think RHEM 1 too (Quicktime) etc...

Is there any way to change the Num Lock and CPU behaviour? As I'm likely to spend way too much time on this game!

TIA

Re: SMAC queries

Originally posted by FullMetalJack
    With the Windows calculator, to use the numpad number keys, Num Lock has to be turned ON. However, in SMAC, I can only control movement direction using the numpad keys if Num Lock is turned OFF! Is that normal?
    ...um, yes? If Num Lock was on, the keypad is for numbers, which are used for things like calculators. That is what "Num Lock" means. With Num Lock off, the keypad is for arrows, which are used for things like moving Sea Formers around.

Comment

Re: Re: SMAC queries

Originally posted by acheron
      ...um, yes? If Num Lock was on, the keypad is for numbers, which are used for things like calculators. That is what "Num Lock" means. With Num Lock off, the keypad is for arrows, which are used for things like moving Sea Formers around.
      Hi acheron,

Yes, when you put it that way it does half make sense.

It just seems counter intuitive though. As I'm left-handed, I use the mouse in my left hand (obviously) and in games such as Half Life, Call of Duty etc., I always assign the numpad keys for movement, jump, crouch...for use with my right hand. For that to happen I have to have Num Lock turned ON!

Also, numpad 1, 3, 7 and 9 aren't 'arrow' keys anyway!

Anyway, no biggie. Just wondered if the default behaviour could be modded in the .ini or alpha.txt files?

Isn't anyone else concerned about the 100% CPU thing?

I'm from an electronic repair background and anyone involved in that knows that high voltages and heat (caused by the extra CPU current) = BAD; at least in the long term. i.e. They account for the majority of faults.
      Last edited by FullMetalJack; November 18, 2005, 11:24.

Comment

Games try to update the screen as much as possible.

This makes the cpu's work at 100%

Well, there are details and exceptions and ... , but, this is the general reason most games use 100% cpu.
        no sig

Comment

Originally posted by PJayTycy
          Games try to update the screen as much as possible.

This makes the cpu's work at 100%

Well, there are details and exceptions and ... , but, this is the general reason most games use 100% cpu.
          I've found that most of the games I've played don't use 100% CPU.

Comment

all the shooters you mentioned,do however.which games are those?

I'm from an electronic repair background and anyone involved in that knows that high voltages and heat (caused by the extra CPU current) = BAD; at least in the long term. i.e. They account for the majority of faults.
            only in the same way firemen hate fires, and eco groups think cutting a tree down is bad... get real,and dont worry about it.i have puter experiance there myself,and its a non factor unless your talking about years and years(but then,replace your cpu every 1.5 years anyway)
            if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

You could try down-clocking your CPU in the BIOS. Alternatively, cool your computer more effectively.
              "Cutlery confused Stalin"
              -BBC news

Comment

oh btw im pretty sure the voltage dosnt increase with high cpu usuage...just the ammount used up.the flow is constant

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Kataphraktoi

oh btw im pretty sure the voltage dosnt increase with high cpu usuage...just the ammount used up.the flow is constant

Well, if the voltage started to rise, I would start worry - that would soon do nasty things to the electronic components.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

nah, it's when the voltage completely drops and your cpu drains 50 times more current than normal, THEN you have to worry.
                    no sig

Comment

Well, if the voltage started to rise, I would start worry - that would soon do nasty things to the electronic components.
                      well the guy *is* a expert on puters perhaps he knows behind the scenes info on this i dont

Comment

The only way I know to get more current when voltage drops is if you have a shortcircuit, and then you have no worries - your cpu are already toasted.
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

what part of dont you get?

heres a to seal the deal

Comment

what part of dont you get?

heres a to seal the deal
                            You managed to sneak your and in just before my answer

Oh, and I actually know a little about electronics through my B.Sc.Eng. in same

Steven Weinberg

Comment

No, I didn't word that too well initially. That was me trying to squeeze too much into one sentence!

What I meant was; that high voltages and heat account for the majority of component failures in electronic equipment.

In this particular case i.e. heat, is caused by the increase in current. Perhaps I should have said "high voltages and heat (caused HERE by...) = BAD;...

I didn't mean to imply that an increase in CPU current causes an increase in supply voltage!

There aren't any high voltages involved in PCs anyway, other than the mains input side of the switched mode PSU AFAIK?

In any case there's a big difference between 'high voltages' and a 'higher voltage'. (I only mention this for the benefit of those other nitpicking cynics that appear to have ganged up on this thread to poke fun at the slightly misunderstood quote above). Get a F**KING life for gawds sake!

The PSU in PCs uses regulated outputs for the +5, +12 and -12V lines etc., and there's usually some sort of on board regulator for the CPU supply which is about 1.5V for a P4, so no high voltages involved.

If the CPU current increases, then the 1.5V supply should stay the same. In an imperfect world though there'll probably be a slight drop in voltage.

Of course there are cases when the current increases AND the voltage increases. Just before the component in question goes BANG usually.

Anyway if this is the sort of welcome you get for asking a simple question, then stuff it.
                              Last edited by FullMetalJack; November 19, 2005, 12:30.

Comment

Working...
                              X