Two Questions, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Questions, please help!

Hey, I recently reinstalled Alpha Centauri + expansion (because Civ 4 unfortunately won't run on my laptop, and my desktop committed suicide). I was able to get AC to run, but all the movies are stuttering! Is there some way to fix this?

Secondly, is it possible to change the background music for the game? I would rather listen to the Civ 4 music (even though it's not the same era, by far)! The AC music has always been really dull, in my opinion!

Regards,
    Peregrinus

might not have enough juice to run the videos,yes you'll say you can run other videos, but smacs vidplayer may be old and inefficent(wild guess). whats the onboard video+processor?likely when petek shows up,he will know

for your second,i just turn all the sound setts off.'end turn' still plays,but otherwise i can just play music via desktop(alt-tab out) and i recommend winamp for that
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

If you have an old sound card that won't allow you to reproduce audio from multiple applications, you may have to run winamp/(your player of choice) before AC.

Comment

I fixed problem one. It was just because I turned off sound hardware acceleration, which was meant to help with Civ4.

Problem two, so the only way is the run background player? That's no problem in itself, but I thought it'd be nicer to have a proper thingy, like the music folders in civ4. So music and movies don't play at same time, etc.

Comment

The problem is that AC music isn't in wave, mp3 or any common audio format. It is stored in a sort of MIDI of Firaxis' brew, for which I doubt there's a way to emulate.

Comment

The music isn't stored as songs, but as notes and other short sequences. The background music is composed partially in response to the player's actions, which I find pretty neat.
            "Cutlery confused Stalin"
            -BBC news

Comment

To stop smac music, you can either delete the contents of appropriate folder or delete the entire folder.
              -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
              -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

which wont work because smax wont boot without some of them from experiance
                if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

I've got a similar problem. I just rediscovered AC, as my computer won't play Civ 4, and I'm having a problem with the Alien Crossfire expansion. I downloaded the Windows XP pathch, and I've got the plantary pack edition, so I had to change the Alpha Centauri.ini file like I read here. I still get the message that my computer is not supported, but Alpha Centauri plays fine. Unfortunately if I try to choose 'Alien Crossfire' it crashes when it asks me to "choose my world."

Is there another patch I need or something else I have to do to get the Alien Crossfire part to play? I really wanted to try some of those new factions again, and I really liked that faction editor.

Comment

You have set

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

in Alpha Centauri.ini ?

And tried :

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yep, I did, and that got Alpha Centauri working, and setting the compatability to Win 2000 got Alien Crossfire working, thanks a bundle for your quick response!

I tried a couple years back when I got the XP computer to get SMAX going to no avail. I had set compatability to Win '95 as that's what I played it on back in the day. That doesn't work, as I found out long ago, but Win 2000 compatability does.

Now I can play all weekend, yay!

Comment

which wont work because smax wont boot without some of them from experiance
                        Works perfectly for me!
                        -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Working...
                        X