SMAX crash when scrambling needlejets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAX crash when scrambling needlejets

Apologies if this has been raised many times in the past but my SMAX crashes whenever it scrambles a needlejet for air defence.

I have downloaded the alternative terran.exe and terranx.exe files but to no avail.

Is there a fix for this bug? Does it also happen for scrambling choppers?

I have an old PC running Windows95.

Any help greatly received.

This crash is usually caused by older wheel mouse drivers. Does your PC run a process called point32? If so, kill this process before starting SMAC.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

I've had similiar problems - it turned out to be mouse problems :

Edit : Damn you Petek I had to search for the answer, and didn't see you answer before I posted - you just know it
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Due to my stupidity I manged to delete the save file I was going to test so I can't verify this worked (yet).

I now do this as part of my game start up.

Comment

Hmm just got a new packard bell laser mouse and the interceptor bug has appeared for me again. Checked processes and theres nothing along the lines of point32 or mswheel .. any ideas ?
          cheers
          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerus
            Hmm just got a new packard bell laser mouse and the interceptor bug has appeared for me again. Checked processes and theres nothing along the lines of point32 or mswheel .. any ideas ?
            cheers
            Can you confirm that the bug is due to the new mouse? Although usually attributable to a wheel mouse, the bug has been occasionally reported in other situations.

If you still have the old mouse, perhaps you could save a game just prior to the crash, replace the new mouse with your old one and then load the game.
            -- Kosh

Comment

The old mouse was pretty much screwed and jumped all over thats why it got replaced.
              Been awhile since i've played a game where interceptors have been used, it was against the AI a few days ago that made me notice it so i can't really remember for sure. I think the bug did used to occur with my old mouse, i'm sure i fixed it via the normal way of checking those processes but they aren't there this time ..
              Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

If the interceptor crash isn't due to an old wheel mouse driver (and that seems to be your situation), then here are what I see to be your possible choices:

If you want to continue troubleshooting, save a game just before the crash occurs. Then kill off your non-essential running processes one-by-one, load the save, and see if the crash still takes place.

Or, open the scenario editor and delete the interceptor that causes the crash. You won't get a score in the game and the crash could occur later witha different interceptor.

Finally, you could try to bypass the crash by not taking the action that causes the interceptor to scramble. Again, the crash might occur later.

If you do save a game as mentioned above, please post it here and I'll see if the same thing happens on my system.
                -- Kosh

Comment

yeah after about 20 crashes i managed to get the game finished by simply attacking the bases where they were placed first

Comment

Working...
                  X