Getting SMAC to work in WinXP SP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting SMAC to work in WinXP SP2

(I moved this from the FAQ Q&A, cuz I didn't have an answer to it, so hopefully someone can assist me w/ this new thread! )

Question: I recently upgrade Windows XP to SP2. I tried loading SMAC but this comes up: terran.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

SMAC worked fine prior to the upgrade: I had the SMAC XP patch installed and made the ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1 change for it to run.

And now it doesn't want to run anymore -- I just get that message above. I tried the noCDcrack but that didn't fix anything. Any suggestions?

Am I correct in assuming that it run normally under Windows XP without running SP2?

I have two suggestions:
    1) Right click on terran.exe and change compatibility to win98
    2) Try reinstalling the game.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Try any or all of the following:

* In the Alpha Centauri.ini file, set

eax=0
      ds3d=0

* Start the game in compatibility mode (try Windows 95 mode first, then other variations if that fails).

* Start the game using terran.exe instead of axstart.exe, if not already doing so.

These are the most common fixes for this problem. Please post again if none work.
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

I tried everything listed by both you guys -- cept reinstalling the game -- and they didn't work.

I'm going to back up all my savegames, delete, and do a fresh reinstall. I'll get back to you to let you all know if a reinstallation works.

(A side note, I also recently discovered that my Unreal Tournament 2004 now doesn't work either... I also blame SP2 for this too... )

EDIT: Reinstallation worked! Applied all patches and moved my savegame files to the newly-installed SMAC. Thanks!

(Looks like I'll have to do this with a few other games too...)
        Last edited by SilentMage; November 9, 2005, 15:16.

Comment

SP2 has gotten alot of complaints.personally i dont recommend it-last time i installed it i ended up reformating the HD it was so messed up(!)
          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Working...
          X