Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamespot briefly talks about possible SMAC2

You can even vote for it in a poll. Maybe Sid will be motivated. Gamespot
    .......shhhhhh......I'm lurking.......proud to have been stuck at settler for six years.......

Current poll resultsl:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri 220 (11%)
    TIE Fighter 327 (17%)
    X-Com 669 (35%)
    All of them! 651 (34%)

Nice find
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Add it to the 'vote for SMAC' thread!
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Voted.

I was on a radio talk show earlier this week with Sid Meier, and someone asked Sid about possibly remaking Alpha Centauri, which is considered by many to be the finest turn-based strategy game ever made. Sid dodged the question nicely, but I kept thinking, "Yeah, I'd love to see a SMAC 2!"
        Its great to see that every interview Sid gives he gets asked about redoing SMAC(X)!

D

Comment

Its great to see that every interview Sid gives he gets asked about redoing SMAC(X)!
          Let's just hope he tires of it soon..
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Ok guys, I may sound not politically correct here, but my view on the subject is this:

People who made SMAC/X in Firaxis are mostly gone probably. Brian Reynolds is in BHG now.

What I see from civ3 and civ4, is that SMACX is not in high regard over there. Numerous approaches to new gameplay introduced in SMAC were not continued in civ3, and I can see only some in civ4.

I respect Firaxis for what they do with their approach to modability, and AI improvement by Soren. However, present Firaxis will probably not give us what would astound a SMACer like me, for example. And the reason here is that if you take just a closer look how many people play civ3 and how many SMAC you will see, that any civ will sell several (SEVERAL) times more, than a sci-fi title.

Average player seeks relaxation when playing. That is why shooter games are sold for millions of dollars. Not games, where you have to think. Better gameplay, more complex design of game scare away more people than attracts. And even Firaxis stated very clearly at some point, if I remember correctly, that Civ4 will not be for hard-core players. Civ4 invested a lot into hardware-demanding 3-dimentional engine. Real-time strategy look is supposed to attract RTS players here, who are kinda more numerous, I could tell. Turn-based guys are minority.

If a game like SMAC2 is going to be made properly, I think it will be probably done by company not that money-oriented, that would sacrifice better sale for the sake of TBS character of the game and complexity.
            Mart
            Map creation contest
            WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Working...
            X