hmmmm....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmmmm....

i believe its an original unless my friend has one of those burners that has a silkscreen device in it. i seriously doubt that tho. but yeah i should have made that my original post does anyone know how alien crossfire detects alpha centauri???

For the information of others, this thread is a continuation of

budgetkuts,

After re-reading your prior messages, it seems that you are getting the error message when you attempt to install Crossfire. Is that correct? (I was previously thinking that you installed Crossfire but it wouldn't run.)
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

yes it wont for the life of me detect that i have Alpha Centauri
      and it wont give me the option to direct the install program to its location it just says its not currently installed and to do so and run the Alien Crossfire setup again

Comment

I haven't been able to figure out how Crossfire detects whether SMAC is installed. At this point I have three suggestions:

(You may wish to try step 2 before step 1.)

1. As someone else suggested, you could try a manual installation of Crossfire. The installation CD has a folder named Programs. Copy all the files in that folder to the main Alpha Centauri folder. Other folders on the CD correspond to folders in the Alpha Centauri installtion. Again, copy the files from the CD to the corresponding folders on your hard drive. This may not work and will probably mess up Alpha Centauri if it fails. If so, see the next step.

2. When you uninstalled Alpha Centauri, did you manually delete any remaining files? Sometimes files get left behind and that could be causing a problem. So, try uninstalling again, but this time check all folders where SMAC was installed (including the original folder if different than the second installation) and manually delete any files left behind.

3. If neither of these ideas work, the only other possibility I can think of is to format your hard drive and install everything from scratch (I'm assuming you don't have a recent backup). This is a drastic step that you shouldn't try unless you are very comfortable working with computers. Save or backup any data or files before doing this.

Perhaps someone else will have some better suggestions.
        -- Kosh

Comment

lol

well seeing as i have reformatted my harddrive prior to your post (prior to the acknowledgement of your post.)

i guess thats now an option.

considering the crap i had to go through for this fresh install of xp i should get a free game from the software developer of my choosing lol.

i installed xp and was prompted for a product key that i previously had never had to use, nor did i know the locale of. upon reformatting and installing 98 and xp a couple of times a piece i finally realized that the product code was under my PCs custom paint job lol

i really need to stop personalizing **** lol

thanks for all of your help

Comment

So, is your system back up and running? (Or are you posting from another PC?)

If so, did the format fix the problem?
            -- Kosh

Comment

no didnt fix the problem but my system is running alot better than it was with all the crap that gets lodged in there from internet trash. i decided to give up because i can still play alpha centauri, and if it comes down to it i can try the manual install. but right now i think im going to just play some more Civ3. does anyone know what the system specs for Civ4 are going to be? i wanna make sure i can run it because i really dont want to buy a new computer lol.

Comment

Originally posted by budgetkuts
                does anyone know what the system specs for Civ4 are going to be? i wanna make sure i can run it because i really dont want to buy a new computer lol.
                I don't think that the official system specs for Civ4 have been announced. If you want to post your own specs on our Civ4 forum, someone probably can advise you you whether or not it will run.

Just ordered a new system myself since my old one probably wasn't going to cut it.
                -- Kosh

Comment

i got a 1.3ghz 256sd i think im gonna at least get another 256 chip and double it to 512 but thats about all i can do with this pile.

Comment

Official Civ 4 System Requirements
                    Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

Working...
                    X