New computer won't let me play AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer won't let me play AC

It says not supported by CPU. The new computer has Windows XP. Installs just fine and the patch is installed. Any advice?

Just ignore the message and click yes.

But there are many threads here offering advice if that doesn't work.
    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

This is a common error for windows xp. If you click yes and the game crashes here's the fix from firaxis.com:

Windows XP Note: If you are having trouble running Alpha Centauri on Windows XP, or you have a newer system with a 64 bit processor, try the following solution after installing the Windows XP patch .

Double click on My Computer
      Double click on the C: Local Drive (your Hard Drive or the drive that the game is installed to)
      Double click on the Program Files Folder
      Double click on the Firaxis Games Folder
      Double click on the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Folder
      Double click on the Alpha Centauri.ini File (The file looks like a read me text file with a little gold symbol on it).

Once the file is open in Notepad, change:

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

to

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

Be sure to save your changes, then run the game. You may still receive the error message. If it occurs, click OK and the game will load fine.
      Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

Re: New computer won't let me play AC

Originally posted by Arcainite
        It says not supported by CPU. The new computer has Windows XP. Installs just fine and the patch is installed. Any advice?
        I get the same message. I just click yes and the game runs just fine. I've never had a crash.
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

the solution

This worked....I found the Windows XP Patch but it is hardly listed anywhere and not easy to find. I then changed the value to 1 and no problems.

For anyone who has the same problem.

Comment

Ah yes, the win xp patch. That would work too.
            Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

Nice form, helping others who may have the same problem.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I suppose that the winxp patch (versioned 1.03f) works with the (very old) SMAC patch 4.0 installed; can you confirm?

Comment

Working...
                X