Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMACX Techs

Greetings and Salutations All!

Its been awhile since I've played SMAC/X, mostly because I'm horrible at the game and have a short attention span. But with Civ 4 coming out I wanted to get back in the groove of play turn based strategy again.

My question is this. I've looked over all the techs that you can research and was wondering which ones are must haves and which ones you can do without.

Now I realize that alot of it depends on faction/play style. But I'm sure there are some that you just need to have.

I've been playing with the Cyborg Consciousness if this is needed information.

There's a lot of useful and important techs in the game, and others while not that great often are requirements for important stuff.
    Few key techs would be:
    Centauri ecology (E1) - a single most important tech in the game
    Resource restriction lifting techs - Gene Splicing (B3?), Ecological engineering (E4), Environmental economics (B5)
    Industrial Automation (B4) - hab complex and supply crawler - very important unit

If you're unfamilliar with SMAC(X) I'd recommend playing Gaians first. It's a real powerhouse, it's penalties are hardly a penalties at all (unless you're an early game warmonger) and their bonuses are huge. Early mind worm capturing gives you a good pod popper and very flexible combat unit. Ability to crawl 2 food from fungus allowed me to pop-boom all my bases to size 16 before I even got food restrictions off. Although after that there was pretty much no challenges left .

Comment

Re: SMACX Techs

Originally posted by KunoNoOni My question is this. I've looked over all the techs that you can research and was wondering which ones are must haves and which ones you can do without.

Xalien has the key techs right for a builder style game which most people play . These are the most important and you usually go for them first.

But-- its tough to "do without" many lower level techs since the prerequisites for desired higher level techs are so very intertwined. The best I have managed is to steal some higher techs and therby avoid getting their prereqs

Against the AI, it is probably a pretty standard strategy to beeline to IA with a sidetrip for cent ecology and then head for genesplicing and then EE. You steal or trade for the more useless techs.

Noter that if you want to play more of a military game, you would emphasize doc mob and doc flex along with weapon techs. Its not what most people play but it can be a lot of fun
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I would recommend Vel's SMACX guide. It is about whole game, actually.
        Mart
        Map creation contest
        WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

KunoNoOni, I made this chart specially for you. Guard this knowledge carefully, and do not forget my generousity.

I think I screwed up halfway, though - it may not be exceptionally accurate.
          Last edited by Leon Trotsky; September 21, 2005, 05:15.

Comment

He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Now I know, why I lost all the games I lost. I had wrong techs chart...
              Mart
              Map creation contest
              WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Working...
              X