the voice of planet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the voice of planet

i was thinking,we need a collection of posts akin to the great library threads of civ2. that way instad of asking stupid questions about echelon mirrors people can just check the thread under E. of course,this would require catolauging every usefull post for smac,ever a variety of other projects have been started,like the planetary datalinks and various other collections based on some research SP.

since MY collection thing will be the end all and do all of collection threads(yeah right) i decided upon the voice of planet as a name completion of that allows transcend victory... just like this will represent a full culmination of smac efforts. and careful study of can produce victory yadayada

of course,id be insane to try this by myself(correction;more insane) so if the other denizens of the ac ghs forum are favourably inclined, i think this would be way cool to have done. of course as the proponent of this i suppose i would have the job of being chief transcendist

and since projects that are referenced to as ''we'' are more likely to succeed than ones with ''i'' i propose this be a community effort with credit going to all participants

EDIT: i was looking at the GL thread. instead of catolouging every thread,we just need to get the best thread-for example,on crawlers,just need someone to submit the best thread\data on it. and i mean more updated than that page at cgn. this makes the project alot more possible
    Great idea,lets do it!
    25.00%
    Great idea,but i wont be contributing
    32.14%
    no,overly ambitous :q:
    21.43%
    no,sucky idea
    3.57%
    Lets begin work on the Great Xenobanana Farm!
    17.86%
    Last edited by Kataphraktoi; August 31, 2005, 12:48.
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

It is a great and pretty ambitious idea. But do you realise the magnitude of the work required to accomplish it? There are about 3500-4000 SMAC threads that would need to be examined - this project would need cooperation of more than several members.

I am interested, although I cannot currently offer much help due to sheer amount of SMAC projects I am currently doing.

Oh, and I don't like the name. I propose The Network Backbone/Network Node for it.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

i know. it would be very very difficult. thats why i wanted some people that could support before even trying to attempt it. i was estimating it at 10000+ myself. this wouldnt be something to undertake litely

well id prefer network backbone,but i though it was taken by someone

edit; and im wondering if to many of the l33t players are to busy to support- i suspect everyone has some little project cooking somewhere.id like to see how many of the community would be willing to help.

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

If I remember correctly, MariOne once posted an impressive collection of thread-ids for various topics. I tried to find it with an archive-search, but there were no results even when I just searched for posts by MariOne. Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with the archive?

Comment

I've never been able to find anything in the archives with the search function.
          "Cutlery confused Stalin"
          -BBC news

Comment

Maybe go prod MarkG about archive searches?

I think the effort needed for this project would be wasted because everyone who would want to read such a thing would have involved in making it.

Instead, for the few new players appearing I think it would be more beneficial to have a quick-start guide with suggestions regarding terraforming, introduction to pop-booming/ICS/energy parks, which secret projects the game revolves around, how the factions play and maybe some other topics.

Should a SMAC sequel/Civ4 remake appear I would be ready to revise this opinion.

Comment

well its not a im-making-it-thread,its a testing the waters and seeing what everybody thinks thread.and yes you ave a good point,everyone that who would read it had built it.

the search function is totaly broken imho. dosnt civfanatics just have google search it instead of its own function.

if someone would just update the acedemy section at cgn that would do fine for a beginers guide

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro
                Instead, for the few new players appearing I think it would be more beneficial to have a quick-start guide with suggestions regarding terraforming, introduction to pop-booming/ICS/energy parks, which secret projects the game revolves around, how the factions play and maybe some other topics.
                Sounds like your talking about the SMAC Academy over @ CGN......

D

Comment

I'd prefer the Plantary Datalinks myself...

I'd happily contribute whatever I can for anyone collecting data on Chairman Yang and the Human Hive.
                  Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                  Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                  *****Citizen of the Hive****
                  "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

darsnan,thats woefully un updated and dosnt have things like beling to IA and etc

who am i kidding, dont need an SP. im just kicking back here,taking a sip and watching the sun stream in...summer now if only i could actually get my hands on the sav for one of the many pbems im in,everything would be perfect

Comment

In short, you're bored.
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro
                        Maybe go prod MarkG about archive searches?
                        Good luck with that

I'll try to dig out the MariOne thread.
                        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Franky -> PDL is already taken by Illuminatus as the official SMAC fiction SP.

So, let it be Network Backbone!

I go for the first option and I know how to do it and it's not so hard as you've been thinking.

It should consist of following steps:

1.Listing of thread thread IDs and titles in this forum in a XSL (excel) spreadsheet or CSV file ofr easy viewing - I will examine the Poly's HTML code, perhaps there's something common to all threads, so I can write a script for the task. Hey, I already know what exactly!
                          You can consider this point done soon after I start working on it (Somewhere next week)!
                          Result:
                          Code:
                          ID	Title	
                          ------------------------------
                          ...	...
                          138071	the voice of planet 
                          ...	...
                          xxxxxx	roads are useless	
                          ...	...
                          ------------------------------
                          2.Taking the list made in the point 1 and going thru all the threads (<5 minutes for each and adding value in the "subject" field of the named sheet, also noting the depth of discussion by some scale).

Code:
                          ID	Title			Subject		Depth
                          --------------------------------------------------------
                          ...	...
                          138071	the voice of planet 	-		-
                          ...	...
                          xxxxxx	roads are useless	roads		8
                          ...	...
                          --------------------------------------------------------
                          *please note that I put "-" in the subject for this thread to mark it's unusable as source..
                          **Depth scaling in 0-9 scale

3.Weighing the depths of discussions and going thru the most deep and expansive ones, reading it more thorouhly and again adding/distracting from the subject field as well as optionally adding remark.

Code:
                          ID	Title			Subject		Depth		Remark
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          ...	...
                          138071	the voice of planet 	-		-		the reason I do this
                          ...	...
                          xxxxxx	roads are useless	roads		7		lotsa bashing :cute:
                          ...	...
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          *Depth changed to show there's lots of offtopic.

4.Querying the datasheet for a table organised like collecting all existing subjects and making a collection of threads which hold this subject.
                          This can also be done automatically (using script).
                          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

A voice of planet...well, I guess I'll say have fun...

I'm working on my own website, and, having school and much more productive things to do in my life, haven't gotten very far...most of the work is still typed in MS word and not even on the website yet...

The idea is great, but I guess I'd say don't overwork yourself...do small pieces at a time...

Comment

woah woah woah your getting to serious there bin

In short, you're bored.
                              something like that

Comment

Working...
                              X