Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMACX Issue

Hi,

I have a slight problem.... I installed SMAC & X cause I haven't played in awhile, and I try to load the game and I can go through the motions of map creation, but when it is about to go to the faction selection screen it crashes and says there is a problem with Terranx.ICD

So I patch it up etc same deal.

I am running win XP Pro... any suggestions?

Thank you

from the FAQ

13) SMAC/X won't run under my Pentium 4, producing "Processor not supported" errors

A:Edit the Alpha Centauri.ini file so that it contains the following lines at the start of the file:
    [PREFERENCES]
    ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

OR

I have problems with the game under Windows XP

Originally posted by Kaboth
    When launching Alpha Centauri. I receive the error message "CPU not supported". My computer has a Pentium 4 or newer CPU.

Answer
    You will need to modify a line in the Alpha Centauri.ini that is located in the game folder. To do this:

Double click on My Computer
    Double click on the C: Local Drive (your Hard Drive or the drive that the game is installed to)
    Double click on the Program Files Folder
    Double click on the Firaxis Games Folder
    Double click on the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Folder]
    Double click on the Alpha Centauri.ini File (The file looks like a read me text file with a little gold symbol on it).

Once the file is open in Notepad, change:

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

to

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

Be sure to save your changes, then run the game. You may still receive the error message. If it occurs, click OK and the game will load fine.

If you are Installed Sid Meier's Planetary pack then their will be no Alpha Centauri.ini File initially. Upon attemping to play the game and
    clicking ok despite CPU being unsupported the ini file will be produced. Then simply change the ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm to 1. Or if necessary copy ini file from original SMAC.

ALSO download the patch that helps XP:

Alpha Centauri (PC) PATCH - Update for XP.

Question
    What does this update do?

Answer
    This patch will attempt to locate your installation of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, and defaults to that location, if found. If the patch cannot locate Alpha Centauri, it will default to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

In this situation, you should ensure the patch installs to the directory that you have installed Alpha Centauri into.

This patch is a Windows 2000/XP compatibility update, to allow users of Windows 2000 or XP to run Alpha Centauri. It is not required for users of Windows 95, 98, or ME. However, users with these operating systems may will need to install this patch if they wish to play multiplayer games with other players who have installed this patch.

There is a known issue with sounds skipping on Windows ME machines. This should not affect the game stability.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't need the XP compatability patch on my machine. I've never encountered not enough memory though. If it helps I run a P4 1.7 Ghz, 256 MB SD-RAM, 64 MB Geforce 2 and 40 GB hard disk space.

The latest patches need to be installed before the compatability patch can be also. But if your running planetary pack you should be at SMACX 2.0 already from memory.

OR

: I can't install SMAC on a PC running Windows XP. Setup.exe hangs when I try to do so. Can I fix this problem?

A: Try running the XP Program Compatibility Wizard on Setup.exe or run setup.exe in Windows 98/Me Compatability mode. See the following link for instructions on how to do so:

-----------------------

I hope some of this helps-- Generally everyone gets it working after they try a combination of the above combined with an exotic rain dance
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Crack it. Terranx.icd is a copyright protection file. Go search on the web in likely places and remove the copyright protection.

Your hint is: SMAX uses "safedisc".

Comment

Flubber, thank you for posting all that ... I suppose I should have mentioned I tried all that as well before posting, which prompted me to post.

Senethro, I wouldn't know where to begin trying to crack something ><

Comment

The terranx.icd problem comes up every couple of months. As was already mentioned, it's caused by a conflict with the copyright protection (specifically, the need to have the installation CD present in the drive). The only known workaround is to find a modified copy of terranx.exe from which the requirement to have the CD present has been removed.

However, the forum mods have asked us not to post links to sites that have this modified file. Some of us feel that this policy is too strict (since the terranx.icd problem was caused by Firaxis changing their copy protection), but all this has been discussed and the mods ruled as stated above.

So, you'll have to find this file on your own. Hint: Our own FAQ has lots of information about the game.
          "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
          -- Kosh

Comment

Hi Tuxi,

from the initial screen try the "Quickstart" option and see if that works. Reason that I am asking is that I recently ran into a situation like you describe where my "labels.txt" file had become currupted. Replacing that file with the one from the disk solved the problem.

D

Comment

Thanks for all the help... took a few a bit to get it working but it is worth it to play an old fav

fixing the terranx.exe worked perfect

Comment

Illuminatus, could we get a ruling here for how to proceed when this problem arises in future?

Comment

You are asking me for a ruling? All I can do is to repeat what was stated by other Apolyton staff before, posting of links to cracks and warez is a direct violation of Apolyton's Terms of service. Following that, there are to be no discussions or links to them on forums.

If this problem arises again, I advise you as a fellow SMACer not to post links or any directions how to crack the game. Informing a person through other, more private means of communication is not of Apolyton's concern.

EDIT: Oh, and FAQ issue has already taken my interest. I estimate that by November, FAQ as you know it will cease to exist.
                  Last edited by Illuminatus; August 30, 2005, 12:11.
                  SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Thanks, I'll abide by the rules for now. I hate how with old games you have to do a bit of rule/law breaking just to play the game.

Having said that, thats the only way I was introduced to the game and I've been able to buy both SMACX later.

Comment

Originally posted by Illuminatus EDIT: Oh, and FAQ issue has already taken my interest. I estimate that by November, FAQ as you know it will cease to exist.
                      What does this mean ?? Are you planning to replace the FAQ thread or eliminate it? Why would this be a concern at all
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Incidentally, my SMAX copy (completely legit) did not like my new USB wireless internet connection. Upon starting up, it hammered my floppy drive and somehow caused pulsed latency on my internet connection, and failed to load. Correcting terranx.exe fixed this completely.
                        "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                        -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

What does this mean ?? Are you planning to replace the FAQ thread or eliminate it? Why would this be a concern at all
                          Current FAQ is full of spam, rule breaking, dead links and TOS breaches (thank god no one actually reads it). I am going to propose some changes to Markos that will result in usable FAQ if he accepts it.
                          EDIT: It would be a concern as some 'things' would be removed from it.
                          Last edited by Illuminatus; August 31, 2005, 02:42.
                          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Working...
                          X