Missile Defence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missile Defence

Forum newbie here so thanks in advance to all replies and sorry if this question has already been addressed.

I'm trying to build a garrison unit that will effectively defend against incoming missile attacks. I've tried AAA and SAM units (infantry) set on Hold and Alert (all possible combinations thereof). Nothing seems to work.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong and would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Here's the thing, missiles do a lot of damage, and are hard to stop...

AA tracking helps, but the most important thing is aerospace complexes...they may not make your garrisons always win, but they can help a lot, as they add +100% (just like AA tracking)...

Comment

Thanks Commy! I'll definitely give that a try...

Comment

Missiles have base attack value of 18 . Assume it's an elite (+50%) and it'll be 27. Provided you have the same reactor, a probability (6) garrison in base can have these modifiers:
        Aerocomplex +100%
        AAA +100%
        Base +25%
        Sensor +25%
        if Elite +50%
        The total value would be 24 and it'll have a hard time defending the base against elite missiles.

You can use tons of clean scouts (20 minerals) that can be built in one turn and still require the whole missile to take them out.

If enemy missile base is on the edge of missile range from you and you have Centauri Genetics, form a string of locusts to create a block. Missiles can't attack them unless there's a land/sea unit in the same tile.

Comment

Originally posted by xalien
          You can use tons of clean scouts (20 minerals) that can be built in one turn and still require the whole missile to take them out.

This is pretty much my strategy against the AI - just build a bunch of 1 (or two) mineral row scouts to be sacrificed against the incoming missiles. Came in very handy in Chaos Theory's recent Solstice Challenge where the AI's were slinging up to 20 missiles/ turn sometimes....

D

Comment

Originally posted by xalien
            Missiles have base attack value of 18 . Assume it's an elite (+50%) and it'll be 27. Provided you have the same reactor, a probability (6) garrison in base can have these modifiers:
            Aerocomplex +100%
            AAA +100%
            Base +25%
            Sensor +25%
            if Elite +50%
            The total value would be 24 and it'll have a hard time defending the base against elite missiles.
            Combat modifiers stack multiplicatively, not additively (except a tachyon field adds with a perimeter defense, naval yard, or aero complex). The garrison would have a combat strength determined by this:
            6 (base) * 2 (aero complex) * 2 (AAA) * 1.25 (sensor) * 1.5 (elite) = 45.
            Note the +25% from the base is omitted. I'm pretty sure that defensive facilities (perimeter defense, naval yard, aero complex, tachyon field) override the inherent base defense bonus, rather than stack with it.
            For even stronger missile defense, you can build flechette defenses in SMAX. They usually aren't worthwhile, though.
            "Cutlery confused Stalin"
            -BBC news

Comment

What chaos theory said-- I knew that it was around the time that you get the FOUR level armour with AA and AC and a sensor that your defender has good survivability against missiles. With armor of 6 you just scoff at missiles.

Oh and in considering combat issues I ignore morale by essentially assuming it is equal. That makes as much sense to me as adding 50% to each side of an equation when we are talking in the abstract
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
              X