Help plan my invasion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help plan my invasion!

I've been embroiled in constant war since the start of this new game. The first pod I popped had worms and spore launchers, wrecking havok on my early base attempts.

I've bottlenecked the CyCon to 2 bases. The Free Drones and the glorious Hive have been in constant war starting from scout weaponry. We've been battling basically since one pod I popped gave me the communique with Domai.

Anyway, I've finally subdued him and now he's my lackey...

Well, anyway during my long extended war with Domai I've been having to play the nice, obedient person and give "protection money" to Santiago lest she interfere with my subjugation of the Drones.

I've decided to turn my eye to showing Santiago just how much I appreciated her threats during my protracted war with Domai by invading her main island and taking her capital away from her. Its time the sleeping dragon wakes, IMHO.

So I turn to the good people of Apolyton for their counsel. I've planned 3 different landing points with 3 different invasion plans. My priories go RED-BLUE -YELLOW (Poly doesn't have yellow).

The Red and Blue 3rd points of invasion are nothing more than to tie up those Spartan bases and act as a feint for the main invasion points of 1 and 2. I'm deciding on picking the red invasion plan, although blue and yellow do have their advantages as well. I can't really decide.

(and yes, I'm playing random map thanks to some "constructive criticism" ala Darsnan and Geomodder )

So, help plan the Hive invasion of Spartan territory. Votes will be taken into consideration as well as alternative points of attack. Unfortunately, I want only 3 points of attack. I'm landing by transports. Chop & Drop tactics aren't applicable (due to tech stag)...it's basically an old school landing with troops and infantry units.

Help the Hive command and you will be rewarded!
    Attached Files
    Red
    22.22%
    Blue
    11.11%
    Yellow
    44.44%
    Other (reply)
    5.56%
    Xenobanana them!!!
    16.67%

The poll is expired.

Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Yellow. Avoids splitting your forces, the bases are on the same continent as yours. (as far as I can tell)

Comment

Yellow seems the best indeed, but I don't see a reason to land the '1' on the energy bonus tile, and even a drawback with the position of Halls of Discipline.

My main reason is for the production of those impact foils on the centre isle.

Btw, nice knowing you take "constructive criticism" at heart.

@ Senethro: no, those Spartan bases are not on his continent. Fleet Anchorage is a Spartan seabase.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I can't give reasonable advice without knowing the composition of your invasion force and the disposition of the enemy forces but a couple of general rules

1. land on a rocky tile for maximum defensive abilities
        2. Concentrate your forces to ensure you achieve your objectives. The blue plan seem to sperad out your forces too much. In fact I don't like the idea of the feint into the jungle at all-- I would have all 3 forces land for maximum impact to capture the bases around the capital-- so maybe yellows 1 and 3 with red#2

3. geography here favors creating choke points and kill zones-- once you take the capital and 2 associated bases it can be a quick drive west to secure the area

4. ALWAYS plan for some unexpected combat results. Its always better to be griping because you have 4 units too many "doing nothing" than to have 1 unit too few.

I really would need to look at the enemy bases to advise more
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

My forces:

12-16 Missile Infantry (extra 4 will be in the second wave)
          8 Missile Rovers (no armor)
          2 Missile Rovers (armored)
          2 Needlejets (will be finished by the time the first Hive solider steps foot on the Spartan stronghold bases.

My diversionary strike force would basically be infantry and capture that base (Militia Station & Commanders Keep). I have a tendency to favor misdirection and it's a really friggin hard habit to break.

For the Yellow 1 & 3, I focused on taking her capital first. That's why they are positioned in that way. Number 2 is placed to take Training Camp.

I've favored the red attack plan because it focuses on 1)Taking Santiago's capital 2)Includes misdirection 3)Creates a chokepoint for Training camp and Fort Liberty.

Seems like Yellow is winning so far....and I'd like to hear more people give their opinion on the matter.

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by GeoModder

Btw, nice knowing you take "constructive criticism" at heart.
          Just don't let it go to your head, my friend.
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

No probe teams?!
            "Cutlery confused Stalin"
            -BBC news

Comment

Unfortunately, no. While I understand the extreme usefulness of probe teams, I despise the lack of 'honor' they represent.

Ok, seriously tho. I don't have any probe teams ready for the invasion. And I usually go by the creed:

"Wars should be won by "swords and arrows, not rice and salt".

Yes yes yes, I know, a Hiver trying to be honorable? Well yes. I don't usually do probe team actions unless I've been done first. I have at least some honor.

Comment

I repeat CTs "NO probe teams?"..

If you can get air units while your oppoent does not have any , nor any sam units, your units can be pretty invulnerable. Just build a cheapo needlejet to provide aircover for your troops and all my comments about landing on good defensive terrain become irrelevant
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

please post an after action report once your invasion is a success
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                    please post an after action report once your invasion is a success
                    Definitely. But I have this poll open for 30 days.

Of course I don't plan on postponing the invasion for a whole month, but I would like to get more info from fellow Apolytoners before I make the committment.

and yes, after about 10 or so days, I will launch the invasion with the majority vote...and I will post pics of the aftermath. (I'll try post some invasion-in-progress pics too).

Comment

I despise the lack of 'honor' they represent.
                      Yeah i always go by that in SP games aswell, damn spies !

I'd say Yellow, the landing at spot 2 should take that base then you've got a nice chokepoint to kill whatever she sends from the top 3 bases while you conquer the one behind then you can easily advance and finish that conti if theres any sort of mass resistance.
                      If there isn't it will be a very quick strike, just make sure your highest defender +50% (land on rocky) can survive attacks from whatever shes got sitting about as he won't be able to move for a turn and theres little point trying to defend bases with rovers.
                      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

If your opponent has probe teams (which I can't tell) and you don't, even against the AI, you're in trouble. The AI can and will mind control bases for cheap.
                        -BBC news

Comment

My sincere advice is to surrender your forces to the mercy of the good Colonel. That act of contrition would ensure that some of your people would prosper at least.

Barring that, I would take plan yellow. Deprive her of her capital and most important bases and the rest will fall easy. Do you plan on taking complete control or are you going to do her like Domai?
                          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

While I think taking the Spartan capital is important, I don't think it is more important than holding the Monsoon Jungle...by the time you completely hold ground on the Spartan HQ and neighboring bases, that monsoon jungle is going to be thriving with Spartan units...

If I were you, I'd land all my invasion force on that island with the monsoon jungle...land your infantry on the red 3 and the blue 3, then take the bases the next turn...once you control the bases, move your speeders into those bases with another transport or two, and start the campaign of taking the other two base...right now, there is probably little resistance, but later, it will have much better defenses...on the other hand, the Spartan capital really has little room for growth, and isn't going to be any more threatening in 20 turns than it is now...the Jungle, however, will grow very quickly, and while you can probably win this war no matter what you do, holding the Jungle and taking out the weaker part of the Spartan army is much more profitable, as you'll get better returns, and most likely have fewer loses...

About the only advantage I can see in taking the Spartan HQ is that the inefficiency will prevent the Spartans from getting anymore technology for a while...yeah, Sparta Command is the best industrial base, but its likely that, no matter where you attack, the Spartan industry isn't going to have enough time to react...

However, taking the HQ won't effect the industry of other bases, and all those bases, particularly on the monsoon jungle, will still continue to grow and build more and more military units...

Comment

Are there any goodies the Spartans have that we can't see, such as Secret Projects, or artifacts?
                              -BBC news

Comment

Working...
                              X