Help please...(2Probs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please...(2Probs)

1. Spent a bit (lots) of time working on a map with great care paid to the area around the starting locations for each faction. When completed, I discover that the game has changed all of my starting locations...Which totally screws my map.
    Is there any way under the sun to change the start-locations?

2. Sometimes, when desigining new units, (Only happens when playing alien factions), I will see squiggles instead of words in the unit's ability boxes. After this, when I exit the design window the game crashes.
    Not such a major problem, but damned annoying. Anyone know of a way to avoid this short of allowing the game to auto-design units?

1: I'm not sure theres a way to specify a starting location on a map file. However, whatever criteria that the worldbuilder uses to decide starting locations can be used by the map maker. I've a habit of marking starting locations with monoliths and this can often induce SMAC to place as many as 5 of the factions in the place where I want them.

Better still, place them with the scenario editer.

Comment

I have set up the map with, say, a base already built for each faction, not only do you get the starting spots you want, but the faction can't go around moving its colony pod...

Comment

Re: Help please...(2Probs)

2. Sometimes, when desigining new units, (Only happens when playing alien factions), I will see squiggles instead of words in the unit's ability boxes. After this, when I exit the design window the game crashes.
        Not such a major problem, but damned annoying. Anyone know of a way to avoid this short of allowing the game to auto-design units?
        "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ" or something right?
        I've encountered this as well.
        Are you perhaps playing with some modified files?
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Yup, that's it

On mine it's XXXXXXXX
          XXXXXXXX
          (Makes me wonder what it's calling me)
          It's done this with, and without modified files. I DO know what triggers it, (at least on my game). Trying to improve the alien colony pod. I can tinker with anything else with no problems, but as soon as I touch that colony pod, it's all over.

Thanks all.

Comment

A similar problem involving Alien colony pods was reported a couple of years ago in this thread:

but it's unclear whether or not the problem was fixed.

Why don't you try disabling the Advanced Text service? The option should be available by right-clicking the SMAX shortcut, selecting the Properties option and then going to the Compatibility tab (assuming you have a recent version of Windows). If this doesn't help, you can always go back to the original setting.
            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
            -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
            X