Question About Getting Rid Of Bases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Getting Rid Of Bases

Been awhile since I've played but shouldnt building a colonly pod when a base is at pop level 1 disband the base or am I missing something.

Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

This should be the case, yes. If you build a pod in a population 1 base, you'll get a message that the base can't produce it without getting disbanded in turn. You'll then get the choices ofeither disbanding the base or delaying the production.

Only exception is on the easiest difficulty level, where I believe the production is delayed automatically.
    -bondetamp
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    -H. L. Mencken

Comment

I think at easiest level the production takes place and base stays at size 1.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

During TCP/IP games, the choice is made for you - production is delayed. Very irritating, since the only remaining options for getting rid of a base are allowing a war to wipe it out or obliterating it as an atrocity.
        "Cutlery confused Stalin"
        -BBC news

Comment

Hmm. I'm not on the easiest setting.

The situation is that I'm using custom factions and I've conquered a base that is based on the Hive(same exact settings) The base is at level 1 and I rushed a colony pod because I hate it's location. It would have grown in size if I had not rushed the pod but it simply built one and didn't go away.
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

How about producing some mind worms and releasing them into the wild.

Comment

I think bases can produce colony pods at size 1 and remain on the lowest two difficulty settings, but it's been a while since I played anything but Transcend.

Releasing a mind worm is a possibility, but IIRC you need to release it outside your territory for it to be wild, and it probably wouldn't go where you want. Soliciting worms with eco-damage is a more viable route, but by the time you can pump out enough production to yield mind worms reliably, it probably doesn't matter exactly where a base is.
              -BBC news

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. It's been over a year since I played Smax but I find the old desire to stay up late turn after turn is still there. Guess I'll just deal with the base, the game will be over soon anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
                  The base is at level 1 and I rushed a colony pod because I hate it's location. It would have grown in size if I had not rushed the pod but it simply built one and didn't go away.
                  Perhaps the base would have grown to size 2 the same turn that you built the pod? IIRC growth takes place before the pod gets built. In that case, the base grows to size 2 and then goes back to size 1 (but you don't see the growth on the screen).
                  "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                  -- Kosh

Comment

Production occurs before growth, so a city at size 1 at the end of a turn cannot normally produce a colony pod on the following turn and still exist.
                    -BBC news

Comment

Why don't you return it to the hive and retake it? That should destroy it.
                      (+1)

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
                        Production occurs before growth, so a city at size 1 at the end of a turn cannot normally produce a colony pod on the following turn and still exist.
                        You're right. Must've been thinking of something else.
                        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                        -- Kosh

Comment

I have a problem figuring out if it's my mushrooms that are too strong or if it's yours

Though, I may have an excuse, because I can't remember that I ever had wanted to get rid of a base before CV, and after that it has been impossible to do the CP stunt.
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

I have a problem figuring out if it's my mushrooms that are too strong or if it's yours

Though, I may have an excuse, because I can't remember that I ever had wanted to get rid of a base before CV, and after that it has been impossible to do the CP stunt.
                            My main reasons for wanting to get rid of a base are

1. if I really want a base 1 tile off its current location. That can be the case for instance if a one tile move would allow dropping from my base to an adjacent landmass.

2. Avoiding proberapes-- You might want to rid yourself of a threatening enemy base but that doesn't mean you want to own it. I actually think for the sake of a bit more realism, you should not be able to steal a tech from an opponent inn any base founded or conquered in the last 10 years. The idea that vital secrets would be found in remote outposts is laughable

Oh and I usually get rid of a base by gifting it to a pactmate but thats of no use if you want to get rid of it for reason 1. But then again, I haven't had a problem dibanding by building a colony pod
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Dammit, I must some day take up a challenge of a human player

I have never experienced neither of your cases against the AI.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X