Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back...

Hi again!

Well, you guys probably won't remember me at all... I'll just get straight to the point.
    I was a (modestly) active member of the alpha centauri forums here at apolyton about two years ago, but a combination of circumstances (loads of work at college, being without a computer for a long time and got used to reading long books, and others...) kinda forced me to to disappear from apolyton for a long time. I got out of the rythm of spending a lot of time on online forums but lately I've got a little more spare time and I rediscovered the old but classic game SMAC(X). After all that time, I still enjoy it greatly so I decided to come and have a look at apolyton again...

Apparantly my old account still exists, that's great And looking over my PMs, the last one dates back from december '03... wow, that really *is* a long time.

Next thing I noticed was that there's a new ACDG. I was a member of the cycon in the 2nd one and I really liked all the tactics, the big plans and the diplomacy... the role-playing obviously was cool too, but I always enjoyed the strategy part a little more Thinking about it, maybe I'd like to join in sometime, is the democracy game still open to total newcomers? do you guys spend a lot of time in it (i.e. is it still active)?

Talking about activity, do you people who hang around here still play a lot of SMAC? or is it all primarily Civ3 now? Well, I also installed Civ3 again some time ago, but didn't find it as much fun as AC. I can't give very good reasons, it's more of a feeling. Civ3's graphics seem kind of confusing to me (too much detail and not enough oversight) and the game interface is so annoying... moving your units around takes way too much time

Anyway, the feeling to 'be back around' is great. Thanks for reading through my ramblings (if you didn't skip right to the bottom, that is ) and all replies are welcome!

its a smac forum so yeah we all play smac cos civ 3 sucks
    Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

This forum is moderated so please refrain from using that "C" word.

Comment

Mentioned Civilization 3 three times in the opening post.

In accordance with the U.N. Charter, 30 years of economic sanctions have been imposed.
        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Re: I'm back...

Originally posted by Phenix
          Talking about activity, do you people who hang around here still play a lot of SMAC? or is it all primarily Civ3 now?
          I have never owned Civ 3, nor do I plan to: SMAC(X) is the only game I play/ mod in.
          I may buy Civ 4 (or cIV as it seems to be refered to now), but probably more to look into building a SMACX mod off of it, rather than for playing the base cIV.

Originally posted by Illuminatus
          Mentioned Civilization 3 ...

In accordance with the U.N. Charter, 30 years of economic sanctions have been imposed.
          Crap! Should've read that post first!

D

Comment

I downloaded Civ3 ^^

I played Civ3 before SMAC and am now quite unable to go back.
            I've been playing a bit of Civ2 though and am quite impressed with that although I don't understand the intricacies yet. Though I think SMACs war is too attack orientated, I'm having trouble adapting to Civ2's very defensible cities. (The annihilation of entire stacks makes me want to murder things)

Comment

Originally posted by Illuminatus
              Mentioned Civilization 3 three times in the opening post.

Great...

Senethro, I played some Civ2 after I'd played SMAC... Nothing to write home about, SMAC is better at every point.

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro
                I've been playing a bit of Civ2 though and am quite impressed with that although I don't understand the intricacies yet. Though I think SMACs war is too attack orientated, I'm having trouble adapting to Civ2's very defensible cities. (The annihilation of entire stacks makes me want to murder things)

Yes, return to the fold of the true successor to Sid's greatness, Civ2! SMAC is a good game, but cold and clinical. Civ2 is warm and pleasant! Come, breathe the clean air of mother Earth and leave the sweaty filter masks of Chiron behind.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I played Civ 3 for about a month until I truly realized the diplomacy in it was EXTREMELY sh*tty compared to the diplomacy in SMAC/X...SMAC has the best diplomacy interface (as well as the AI's intelligence in diplomacy) that I've been trying to find a better game at diplomacy for 5 friggin years...and still haven't found it.

I just like how you can say, screw you in one session then say...ok ok, FINE, I'll give you this for ______. Best ever.

And yes, I do remember you being here, but vaguely tho....but taking a break from 'Poly isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you're going for notoriety.

Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                  Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                  *****Citizen of the Hive****
                  "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Was deserved..

I actually have played that "other game" of Firaxis, but became bored very quickly.
                    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Should have read that charted first... I'll burn my copy of 'that other game' ritually to make up

Anyway, I'm glad to see some other people sharing my opinion... feels nice to meet like-minded strategy players!
                      Cya around

Comment

Come to MP forum and get involved in some real fighting!
                        -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I just signed up for the ACDG...
                          if all goes well, you guys can expect to notice me soon, buying Planet from under your feet with loads of energy credits (three guesses which fraction I chose )

By the way, great to see some other Belgian people on apolyton... it seems our little country is represented quite well here!

Comment

Hey, we're the secret masters of this world, what do you expect.
                            He who knows others is wise.
                            He who knows himself is enlightened.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Well, I knew that SMACers didn't exactly like civ 3, but I didn't know they hated it...

Obviously, I understand why, but I don't necessarily agree...I think civ 3 is a good game, but it has many issues...then again, so does SMAC...

Comment

Working...
                              X