How to make AC harder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make AC harder?

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a while, and this is a problem that I have with AC/X (or pretty much any Civ game).

Basically, even on the higher difficulty levels, I'm finding the game too easy at times. The AI doesn't really know how to mount an attack, and has massive stumbling blocks when dealing with sea combat. It's getting to the point where the metagame involves a barely terraformed enemy landmass.

A few of the threads said that giving bonuses to the AI makes it more challenging, but are there any other methods?

Cal – try a couple of things to make the game more challenging:

· Accelerated start – gives the AI at least one SP, and means you can’t hog them all (or may lose one you really want). You also lose the critical turn advantage of the early game, and are saddled with the same idiotic terraforming the AI has to suffer with.
    · Deny yourself items the AI can’t/doesn’t use – try a game without crawlers. I can guarantee it will be VERY different! And also no copters, and limited air power.
    · Deny yourself unbalancing SPs – there are a few SPs that are really powerful. Of course, there is some disagreement, but here is my list: Hunter-Seeker Algorithm, Cloudbase Academy, PTS, Cyborg Factory. Once you get to nifty SPs like Cloning Vats the game is over anyway.
    · Use random or semi-directed research – you’ll be surprised how much THIS changes the game! There are no tech b-lines, and you may have to work really hard to get those critical early techs. Semi-directed means you only choose a combo of Explore/Conquer/Discover/Build for a tech objective, and you are by no means guaranteed of getting the tech you want. Personally I play all my SP and MP games this way if I have a choice. Using Directed Research is for weenies!
    · Limit SE games – play your faction’s SE choice the vast majority of the time and don’t play games like cheesy SE switches during diplomacy. Also, limit or have no pop booms. Or play a faction that can’t easily pop boom (Morgan, Cyborgs, Hive).
    · Make your world friendlier to the AI as rainy and large landmasses – the AI is hopeless in amphib assaults, and merely pathetic at land assaults. So, increase the landmass in your world. I’ve seen the Spartans roll over the Gaians and PKs in SP when there are large landmasses, and the aliens and Hive can make an attempt at overwhelming an opponent, too. Likewise, dense cloudcover helps the AI with its stupid terraforming by giving it more rainy sectors. Yes, it helps you – but there are 6 AI factions so it helps them more!

What these do is make the game more level of the AI, which as you say is a tad limited.

Good luck!
    Hydro

Comment

cal_01

Another way that some of us remain challenged is to play a "faction switch" game. Play one faction for 75 or 100 years, then look at the power graph, and click on the scenario editor and change factions to the weakest faction. Go back into the game and play that faction for 50 to 75 years, then repeat the process.

By the time you come to 2300 you should be starting your fourth faction - and now have 3 incredibly strong factions to deal with (the 3 that you built up)

Although the AI does some stupid things with your legacy (such as moving crawlers off 7-mineral tiles to go exploring!!!) you'll be surprised at how hard it becomes to outwit them (especially if two of your former factions then decide to gang up on you)

Try it - you'll be challenged

Googlie

Comment

Try playing some of the SP Challenges over at CGN. These should gtive you a run for your money.....

Also, tweaking the alpha(x).txt file so that the AI's wil then build probe cruisers upon discovering Doc: Init is another way to increase the AI's abilities. FYI and hope this helps!

D

Comment

Pact submissive them all together and set them all to atrocity victims of yourself. Make the map size standard, pick the cult or miriam and get ready to fight for your life!
          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Hey, guys. I tried Hydro's suggestion and made it cloudy and accelerated start. Also, I turned on random faction for myself to make it more interesting.

So here's what happened:

I ended up being the University faction.

And landed in the jungles.

... and next to the Usurpers/Caretakers.

Needless to say, the pop-booming was pretty much uncontrollable with the University extra drone penalty, and for some reason, the jungle had -rocky- areas. Anyhow, I tried beelining building up to Dem/FM/Wealth before the Usurpers took down the Drones. Soon, I ended up getting on top in tech, which wasn't surprising since everyone was too busy beating on each other. However, the Caretakers soon declared vendetta on the Angels and myself and started taking huge chunks of land. Ack.

Then the Usurpers vendettaed me too. And, that's when I gave up.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Comment

I would second Googlie's suggestion. This is how I play most of the time. My goal is to reach that I play with all 7 factions (I always switch when I reach the top "Unsurpassed" and change to the weakest faction at the time) and win the game with the last. I have only managed to win by the 7th once so far. It often becomes impossible simply because one or two faction gets eliminated before you get to play them.

But if your are lucky, playing after 5-6 switches gets real hard.
              ::Zsozso::

Comment

You can always attempt the Ironman One City Challenge at the Transendent level.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You could also try to play my Ultimate Builder Challenge scenario, you can get it from:

::Zsozso::

Comment

I want to make the game easier. I'm getting my ass kicked on Talent level. .

JK of course but you never find people asking this question.

Comment

Easiest way to make the game easier? Control your own formers. :P Automate former makes horrible terraforming choices.

Oh, and in squares that are moist aren't rolling or anything, plant forests. The growth hit isn't too severe, and the increase in minerals is more worthwhile.

Comment

@cal_01: Even in arid squares a forest will take it from 0/0-1/0+ (depending on elevation, usually 1 for me since it's a low square and I'm in FM) into a 1/2/1 in the same time.
                        #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                        #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Forest is the w00t!
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yeah, you have to put limits on yourself in order to make the game a challenge. I also like to roleplay, so if I'm PK I have to build applicable happiness facilities before building or homing more than one defender to the base, etc.
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I find playing the game without crawlers and pop-booming (as I used to do before I got an internet connection and learned of the powerful things that are possible) already makes it significantly harder...

Comment

Working...
                              X