Secret Projects to which faction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Projects to which faction?

I don't know if this is an original idea, but I thought it'd be cool to see what would happen and who would win if each faction started out with a bunch of Secret Projects at their home base.

This is what I came up with:

Human Genome - Zak
    The Command Nexus - Santiago
    Weather Paradigm - Dee
    The Merchant Exchange - Morgan
    The Empath Guild - Dee
    Civ Defence Force - Dee
    The Virtual World - Yang
    The Planetary Transit - Miriam
    Xenoempathy - Dee
    The Neural Amplifiar - Spartan
    Maritime Control Centre - Spartan or Pirates
    The Planetary Datalinks - UN
    The Supercollider - Unknown, build
    The Ascetic Virtues - Yang
    The Longevity Vaccine - Morgan
    Hunter-Seeker - Unknown, UN, Roze, or build
    The Pholus Mutagen - Dee
    The Cyborg Factory - Spartan, should be Cyborgs
    The Theory of Everything - Unknown, probably Zak
    The Dream Twister - Spartan, but probably Dee
    The Universal Translator - Miriam
    The Network Backbone - Morgan or Cyborg
    The Nanofactory - Spartan or Drones
    The Living Refinery - Morgan or Drones
    The Cloning Vats - Santiago, Yang, Zak or make it one to build
    Self Aware Colony - Not-Miriam (she's against it), Yang or Morgan or Ursurpers, possibly Roze
    Clinical Immortality - Morgan or Zak or Miriam (she reads)
    The Space Elevator - Zak
    The Singularity Inductor - Zak
    The Bulk Matter Transmitter - Not-Miriam, Morgan or Drones
    Telepathic Matrix - Dee or make it one to build
    The Voice of Planet - Build
    Ascent to Transcendance - Build
    Manifold Harmonics - Caretaker or Prophet
    Nethack Terminus - Roze or possibly Miriam
    Cloudbase Academy - Drones, not-Sven, or build
    Planetary Engery Grid - Prophet or possibly Morgan or Caretakers

I assigned Projects mostly on who reads the quote in the movie or, if there was no quote, on a role-playing level. Although, Miriam's quotes are mostly Biblical or against whatever Project it is (Self-Aware Colony and Bulk-matter Transmitter) and some had no character quotes at all.

Obviously, Voice of Planet and Transcendance are ones the player(s) should build. Telepathic Matrix, Cloudbase, Hunter-Seeker, Cloning Vats are ones that are too powerful to give to the faction that read the quotes (or to any faction for that matter). After all, can you imagine how powerful the Spartans would be if they had the Command Nexus, Neural Amplifier AND Dream Twister, Nanofactory, Cyborg Factory, and Cloning Vats? They'd be unstoppable.

Even from a role-playing standpoint, Cyborg Factory and Dream Twister aren't read by Santiago, but mention Spartan bases.

Some Projects I thought should go to certain factions if another faction wasn't in the game.

Here's a list of the bonuses (I've probably missed one or two properties) each faction would be expected to receive:

Zak - +1 Talent, Free Quantum Converters, 1/2 cost Sats and Drop anywhere, +50% Econ at base, +50% research at base

Dee - 2x faster terraforming and all addons, 2x votes, infiltration, and comm, free Perimeter, fungus as roads, +2 Lifecycle, Fungus bonuses for units

Spartan - Free Command Center, Free Naval Base, +50% psi Defence, repair anywhere, 1/2 upgrade cost

Morgan - +1 Energy at base, less Drones (Planned, Simple, or Green) +50% Econ if FM, +2 Support, possible +1 Research for every Network Node (if Cyborgs not in game)

Yang - Free Theater for Network Node, Pop +2, Police +1, 1/2 Maintainace and extra Police

Miriam - Size 3 bases to start, Artifacts can be cashed in here, +1 Talent, 2x votes

UN - get tech that 3 others know, Probe protection

Cyborg - +1 research for each Network Node (if no Morgan), Free Bioenhancement Center

Prophet - Free Energy Banks, bonuses on all Fungus, Xenoempathy and Pholus without Dee

Drones - Free Areospace Complex, +2 Mins at all bases (Bulk Transmitter) and repair anywhere (Nanofactory) and 1/2 upgrade cost (if no Spartan), +2 Support (if no Morgan)

Roze - +1 Morale to Probes, -25% to Probe mission costs, Probes have Enhancement

I didn't include the Aliens because, well, I don't like them much.

Tell me what you think and if you think a faction is much too powerful and who the Projects should belong to.
    It's really Synthetic God... I guess I didn't notice my own typo.

Neat, the only similar thing i can think of is if you acelerate start then each faction gets a single project
    What type of idiot quotes himself
    -paramir

Comment

I remember a thread on this before...I think it was decided that the game designers intended the SP for whoever said the quote for it...some exceptions obviously being the Self-Aware colony and Bulk Matter Transmitter...

That idea was all good with SMAC...SMAX, however, changed that, and projects like the Maritime Control Center were soon torn between the Pirates and the Spartans...Ultimately, a separate list has to be made for SMAC and SMAX, as the factions are rarely together...

Here would be my changes to your list, but ultimately, the is evidence that can suggest numerous factions for one SP, so there is no "one" correct way to do this...

Supercollider--Definetly University, but I see you have player...

Hunter-Seeker--Most likely Roze, folled by Cycon...goes to the Morgans in SMAC...

Universal Translator--Zak or Cycon, no one else would really give a care about tech...especially not Miriam...

Self-Aware Colony--Either Yang or Cycon...for the police...

Personally, I only allow myself to build projects that my faction leader says the quote for...so if I played the Gaians, I could not build the Merchant Exchange...it helps limit myself from building all the SPs and just absolutely killing the AI...

Comment

I can make an argument for Miriam wanting the Universal Translator.

She doesn't have much in the way of researchers or great scientific thinkers, but progress must always be made. It's likely that new technologies might be recovered more from Unity wreakage and by putting original ideas through a strict screening process that looks the technology's implications from a Biblical standpoint. All in all, it just takes longer.

I don't think it's a leap to think that the Believers are the ones who would be most interested in archeology, since they see Planet as the new Promised Land. I think it's plausable that they would view the alien artifacts as gifts from God, since the previous inhabitants of this Promised Land must have been close to God.
        It's really Synthetic God... I guess I didn't notice my own typo.

Comment

Working...
        X