No announcement yet.

insane freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point32.sys is the process usually suspected in the interceptor bug crash, but it can be caused by other (unknown) factors. I have point32 running on my system, but haven't seen an interceptor crash for several years.

You can disable the mouse wheel via the Mouse menu in Control Panel. That might be worth a try.

If you could post a save file of the game just prior to the crash, we could see if it reproduces on other systems.

EDIT: The wheel still works in SMAC even after disabling it in Control Panel. Guess that means that SMAC provides its own wheel support.
    Last edited by Petek; June 6, 2005, 02:06.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Tried disabling the mouse wheel from the control panel didn't disable the wheel or affect the crashing. Here's the sav file

link

hope I linked that up correctly...
      The interceptor is in University Base and attacks the needlejet hanging around nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Petek
        The wheel still works in SMAC even after disabling it in Control Panel. Guess that means that SMAC provides its own wheel support.
        Actually, now that you mention it, the scrolling function of my wheel did work even after I killed point32.sys, but the click function of the wheel didn't.
        "Cutlery confused Stalin"
        -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by Grump
          Tried disabling the mouse wheel from the control panel didn't disable the wheel or affect the crashing. Here's the sav file

link

hope I linked that up correctly...
          The interceptor is in University Base and attacks the needlejet hanging around nearby.
          I loaded the game, activated the interceptor in University Base and attacked the NJ. A Uni interceptor scrambled from the adjacent base and engaged my interceptor. No crash, so the save file isn't corrupt.

If you boot into Safe mode, can you start SMACX and load the save? If so, what happens then?
          -- Kosh

Comment

terranx and terran.exe won't even start under safe mode win2000. Just your run of the mill error message

Comment

Hmm - I, too downloaded the save, and sent the interceptor from HQ to attack that noodle. game crashed (on winXP)

I'm assuming that the interceptor scramble bug took effect

I'll change mice to a non-wheel one, as well as try it on my laptop (running ME2K)

Edit: Crashed on my desktop winXP with a regular mouse, and also crashed on my laptop Me2K both with a wheelmouse and regular mouse attached and also just using the sensor pad
              Last edited by Googlie; June 7, 2005, 00:26.

Comment

Crashed here too.
                Mart
                Map creation contest
                WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

So it looks like we have an instance of the interceptor bug that isn't caused by point32.dll. In this recent thread:

Blackcat also reported a similar problem.

Mart7x5 didn't mention what OS he's using, but presumably it's either Win2k or WinXP. I, on the other hand, don't get the crash and am running Win ME (well, at least it runs SMAX OK!).

Grump -- You have several options:

* In the game you posted, don't attack the NJ this turn (or do anything else that would cause the Uni interceptor to scramble). That may allow you to bypass the crash.

* If that doesn't work, use the scenario editor to eliminate the Uni interceptor that's causing the crash. You should be able to continue the game, but you won't get a score.

These options won't affect the basic problem. If you want to keep troubleshooting, post again.
                  -- Kosh

Comment

okay, I just wish Firaxis would get around one of these years to issue a patch for such a common problem. One of the main purposes of an expansion is to polish out the last few bugs. Not introduce a whole bunch of new ones. We shouldn't have to be going though all these stupid work arounds in the first place...

Comment

Originally posted by Grump
                      okay, I just wish Firaxis would get around one of these years to issue a patch for such a common problem. One of the main purposes of an expansion is to polish out the last few bugs. Not introduce a whole bunch of new ones. We shouldn't have to be going though all these stupid work arounds in the first place...
                      Quite true. However, see the following quote, circa 2000, from Jeffrey Morris of Firaxis regarding the interceptor bug:

"We have never been able to duplicate this bug here, which is why it remains unaddressed. The saves we've got (over 100 a least) never did it here. I've heard a way to fix this is to disable intellipoint mouse software, though how that's related I don't know. I'd be curious though if that worked for you.

jkm
                      firaxis games"
                      -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
                      X