Hi guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys

After beating some people over LAN, they suggested I head here.
    What do I need to know, and where can I find a game?

P.S.: Hi guys

Re: Hi guys

Originally posted by TBS Skills

What do I need to know,

Here is The SMAC Academy .

and where can I find a game?
    Play By E-Mail games forming here

Good Luck!

D

Comment

If you want, send me a few of your save games at

senethro at gmail dot com

I'll do a little comparison and see whats different about you than other players.

You do use supply crawlers and free market, right?

Comment

Senethro:
        I didn't keep saves of my games against other humans.
        I'll do that in future.
        Crawlers:
        Lots of 'em, lots of Formers.
        But the problem is, neither the AI nor the Human players guessed where either were - even though mountains appeared out of nowhere.
        Free Market:
        I spend more time steamrolling than I do with my economy.
        While I know Punishment Spheres are there for a reason,
        I'd rather spread support out / use police.
        That, and a size 3 base near the front with 10 troops in it screams "Nuke me"
        If I ever find a person who can't be steamrolled, I'd switch to FM and try to out-tech and out-probe them.

Darsnan:
        You mention that 4 players each take a day to play the turn.
        Where can I find players who are less casual?
        5-minute turns make my head hurt -
        I was thinking more of 1 M.Y. a day for 4 people (2 M.Y.s a day for 2 people)
        Last edited by TBS Skills; May 4, 2005, 22:22.

Comment

Darsnan:
          You mention that 4 players each take a day to play the turn.
          Where can I find players who are less casual?
          5-minute turns make my head hurt -
          I was thinking more of 1 M.Y. a day for 4 people (2 M.Y.s a day for 2 people)
          There is an H2H (Head to Head) League over at CGN as well, which if you get a game against someone in the same timezone as yourself, why you can burn mulitple turns/ day. I've got an H2H against Yabcok currently (7 timezones away) where we have gotten in more than 5 turns/ day at times.
          As far as 4 player PBEM games are concerned, why typically from my experience your going to see the turn maybe twice/ week at best. Many things conspire to defeat quicker gameplay, most noetably as follows:

1. Timezone differences: kinda hard to push the turn when Player C in rotation receives the turn, plays it in 5 minutes, only to send it to Player D who's already gone to bed....

2. Real Life (RL): the more players you have in a game, the more the chance that someone will experience something that will interfere with good turnage. I myself am currently working multiple shifts/ week, making it alomst impossible for me to guarantee any semblance of good turnage.

3. Players out of their league: I've seen a lot of games get hung up because a player (or players) are completely outclassed in a game, and so they lose interest in the game and their turnage goes downhill, or worse they just drop off the boards, meaning the game is hamstrung because of this.

4. The intracacies of Diplomacy: if you've never played PBEM, then I have to warn you that there are some players out there that will send you reams of E-Mails/ PM's per turn! It must take them hours to contemplate the fine nuances of what they want to encapsulate into a message to you, then decypher your reply, before they even consider opening the turn. And they may even need to send you a second ream of E-Mails/ PM's for clarification/ further review once they open the turn! These players, once the game enters the diplomatic phase, tend to take 3-4 days to play one turn. FYI for when you looking for a game, and what type of player you want in it.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan
            1. Timezone differences:
            2. Real Life (RL):
            3. Players out of their league:
            I understand.
            From another game, people often quit a group in the middle of something.
            This seems to be widely accepted.
            I do not agree, but can do nothing to force my point-of-view.
            When mediocrity goes unpunished, mediocrity prospers.

4. The intracacies of Diplomacy:
            I don't do diplomacy.
            I eliminate the target I support the least,
            and repeat until I win.

I support:
            1. Me
            2. Players who are a challenge, and whom I can learn from
            3. Players who I can learn from
            4. Players who are a challenge
            5. AI
            6. Mediocre Players
            7. Players that ruin the game for others
            (e.g. 7-day trip to XYZ islands without a replacement player)

My diplomatic messages consist of:
            "Aiming to kill [The Believers] Now.
            Trade my Planetary Networks for your Plasma Armor
            This will help my fight.
            My next target is the one who has helped my fight least."

I see manipulating people as tiresome,
            sucking up to be self-insulting,
            and insulting them to be boring.
            Screw diplomacy-
            Tell the players what I want, and that my army will be pointing at the one that agrees the least.

Comment

Real keyboard warrior, ain'tcha?

Comment

What other point of view could I take?

Comment

Theres hardcore, and then theres being a rigid raging xenophobe.

You also make the assumption that your armies are invincible.

It also is suggested based on what you have written that you will illogically ignore other, quicker types of victory for a conquest victory.

Apolyton is not going to take it as weakness if the "first contact" message you send to another faction is something other than "hi omg u die now by my powar kthxbye."

In short, it sounds like you treat each game as an ego trip.

Comment

Believe my, if used and constructed correctly, a force 1/10 of your army could decimate your empire...do not forget unconventional warfare...PBs do damage, but worst of all is the probe teams...and never, never, forget the power of the terraformer...sinking three cities in two turns can deal great damage to a foe...

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro
                      Theres hardcore, and then theres being a rigid raging xenophobe.

You also make the assumption that your armies are invincible.

It also is suggested based on what you have written that you will illogically ignore other, quicker types of victory for a conquest victory.

Apolyton is not going to take it as weakness if the "first contact" message you send to another faction is something other than "hi omg u die now by my powar kthxbye."

In short, it sounds like you treat each game as an ego trip.
                      can you blame the guy for playing to win? Not everyone has the same play style.

but his playing style could have problems in games with 4 or more humans if they all gang up on him. Diplomacy shouldn't be ignored. But he'll learn that the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                        Enigma, is that you?

You sure have a long memory, Tass.
                        He who knows others is wise.
                        He who knows himself is enlightened.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I've lurked this board a lot longer than I've posted on it and the name Enigma Nova sprang to my mind as well.

Dissident: I don't think many games involving 4 or more equal players show that naked aggression has a good record of success.

Comment

I prefer: "All your base are belong to us."
                            You have been warned.

Comment

I've lurked this board a lot longer than I've posted on it and the name Enigma Nova sprang to my mind as well.

Dissident: I don't think many games involving 4 or more equal players show that naked aggression has a good record of success.
                              that was my point. Some people will learn the hard way, while others learn the easy way. But you can't expect everyone to play the game the same way as either a builder or hybrid game.

Comment

Working...
                              X