Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cIV---->SMACX mod

Originally posted by Senethro
    Yes, please, send it over. To be quite honest, I'm wondering if we should make this official and start a website/forum.
    E-Mail sent.
    I think its a little early for starting a website/ forum. However, it is something to keep in mind. Someone ought also make a poll as to whether the community would really be interested in pursueing such an endevour, or would migrate to it if it were built.

Would Apolyton support a modding effort by providing us a forum?
    Don't know. However if this project were to come to fruition, why I'm sure a site could be found.

A bit nearer to Civ4 release date when people are talking about it I'll target various game/modding forums and try to recruit. It would be helpful to have a website, a mission statement and a few staff in place by then.
    I am sure that work could be started in the existing AC Creation Forum - heck, no one else is using it these days.... As far as a mission statement is concerned, why I am angling towards making the game as close to the original SMAC(X) as we can make it, but with an enhanced AI. Essentially my thought is that a) this project is already going to be difficult enough as it is without trying to incorporate a new storyline/ new Factions/ etc., and b) that trying to make an updated version of SMAC(X) we would garner the broadest base of support (as opposed to going down some avenue towards a SMAC2 which would surely "alienate" some people from the project). Also, the process for building the mod should be documented as to how it was went about modding the game. That way those that are then interested in building a SMAC2 (or other adventures off the base modded game) would then have a roadmap to follow.
    Finally, something that I am keen on is that the mod is made such that newly set up game save files completely incorporate files such as the alpha(x).txt, script.txt, interlude.txt files, etc. into gamesave files, as this would then open up a plethora of new opportunities for the game IMO.
    Just some thoughts for now. Read the E-Mail I sent when you get the chance, start thinking about some of the things that were discussed, and we'll see where things go from there.

D

Comment

• but with an enhanced AI.
      Yep, and Im already on this issue.
      I have some expierence in AI programming and have been gathering my old algos and thinking up new ones for smax specially.

Actually the most reasonable thing the AI will probably have is it will know most of the successful strategies of SMACX.
      Maybe not use them at 100% a skilled player does, but still, a gigantic step forward from what we have now..
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

• dont forget the battle on the poll! contact everyone you know, spread the word!
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• dont forget the battle on the poll! contact everyone you know, spread the word!
          /me considers putting some screamy text about this in his sigs..

Will do!
          Last edited by binTravkin; June 13, 2005, 08:23.
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

• Voted SMAC2... because I didn't see the Col2 option.

Anyway, SMAC2 would be pretty sweet. I'm thinking more along the lines of SMAC2: Epsilon Eridani Boogaloo, though. Have a whole new planet, new set of factions, new storyline, new native threats and so on.
            "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
            "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

• Originally posted by Darsnan

E-Mail sent.
              I think its a little early for starting a website/ forum. However, it is something to keep in mind. Someone ought also make a poll as to whether the community would really be interested in pursueing such an endevour, or would migrate to it if it were built.

Don't know. However if this project were to come to fruition, why I'm sure a site could be found.

I am sure that work could be started in the existing AC Creation Forum - heck, no one else is using it these days.... As far as a mission statement is concerned, why I am angling towards making the game as close to the original SMAC(X) as we can make it, but with an enhanced AI. Essentially my thought is that a) this project is already going to be difficult enough as it is without trying to incorporate a new storyline/ new Factions/ etc., and b) that trying to make an updated version of SMAC(X) we would garner the broadest base of support (as opposed to going down some avenue towards a SMAC2 which would surely "alienate" some people from the project). Also, the process for building the mod should be documented as to how it was went about modding the game. That way those that are then interested in building a SMAC2 (or other adventures off the base modded game) would then have a roadmap to follow.
              Finally, something that I am keen on is that the mod is made such that newly set up game save files completely incorporate files such as the alpha(x).txt, script.txt, interlude.txt files, etc. into gamesave files, as this would then open up a plethora of new opportunities for the game IMO.
              Just some thoughts for now. Read the E-Mail I sent when you get the chance, start thinking about some of the things that were discussed, and we'll see where things go from there.

D
              Although I am not a programmer, know that you'll have my support. I would also like to help you either as a beta tester ( ) or on some job that doesn't require much programming knowledge (like adding interludes, text etc.).

Perhaps it is too early, but keep the spirit alive.
              Last edited by Illuminatus; June 13, 2005, 08:32.
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

• I will definately help programming a civ4-SMAC mod.

I think I'll just buy civ4 to be able to mod it into SMAC :-)
                no sig

Comment

• I bring you update on current results.

SMAC has now 34 percent of the votes, while Colonization has 36 percent of votes. That means that since last news report the difference between the two has been halved.

As casualties of war, Sid Meier’s Sim Golf and F-19 Stealth Fighter have been reduced to 0 percent of total votes.

We must not give up now! Find new people to vote! Vote if you haven't already!
                  Last edited by Illuminatus; June 13, 2005, 11:30.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

• it's 35-36% now!!
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• Maybe we´ll get both?
                      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

• Originally posted by Senethro
                        Intellectual property Q: should we email Firaxis and ask their permission about Civ4 SMAC 1.5 just so don't waste a lot of effort making it, only to be shut down?
                        On the other hand, by asking Firaxis you'll force their hand, and I suspect they are for legal reasons compelled to give a negative answer. At least when it comes to artwork and texts.

So maybe just to be sure, I guess the the mod should either A) change all the names of factions/characters, introduce new graphics and have rewritten versions of the interludes, blurbs etc., and/or B) have some way of reading this data from original SMAC(X) files.

Comment

• I am Lazera, returned from the dead.

And I say unto you: I am convincing as many, er, computers as I know to vote for SMAC!

Anyone got Aki's QL number?

GFC
                          "The first rule of Girlfight Club: No one gossips about Girlfight Club. That means you, Sheryl."
                          -----------------------------
                          Girlfight_club of Toliman has authorized a secret project, "The Planetary Datalinks": http://planetarydatalinks.hub.io

Comment

• It is a tie currently. 36-36 for SMAC and COLONIZATION.

Comment

• I just voted too. Gogo SMAC!!

Comment

• Still even...
                                He who knows others is wise.
                                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                                X