No announcement yet.

Game freezes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the response darsnan. Have sent you a copy of 2254. Here it is for anyone else who's bored.

Hobbes
    Attached Files
    If you want to kiss the sky/Better learn how to kneel/On your knees boy - U2, Mysterious Ways

http://zanature.wordpress.com

Comment

OK got it to work, and forwarded the turn back to you. Good Luck!

D

Comment

I downloaded the turn mainly to see what the AI factions have done in 126 turns, and I like what I see. I turned on the scenario editor and clicked Turn Complete so I could see what might be causing problems. It looks like the AI was just being very slow. Domai crashed about a dozen missiles at sea near Shanty Town because he couldn't decide what to do with them. This alone took several minutes. I don't know what happened at Shanty Town, but the arrangement of units there after the turn is ludicrousl
        "Cutlery confused Stalin"
        -BBC news

Comment

This is a great scenario, this is the best I've done in about 20+ attempts. For some reason Miriam was not so aggressive & I also managed to get Doc Air reasonably soon. Weirdly I was not able to make friends with Aki Z- and she usually makes a great tech-sharing pactmate. I tried with the 2254 turn and the same thing happened- freezing up. I'll try with the turn you played through Darsna; thanks.

Hobbes
          If you want to kiss the sky/Better learn how to kneel/On your knees boy - U2, Mysterious Ways

Comment

I'm happy I made it so entertaining. It's the first (and so far only) scenario I've made. Aki Zeta-5 is doing pretty well in this game, as in my tests she would die around 2200. You've been diverting Miriam's attention some.
            -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by H0bbes
              I'm running the game on a laptop with windows ME. I don't have problems generally in MP or SP or Scenarios, but I am playing the solstice scenario & I can't get it to play 2256. The game freezes halfway through the turn. Never had this problem before but have completed 2255 a number of times & can't get through 2256. I've done things differently each time to no avail. Here's the turn. If someone can take a look for me I'd appreciate it.

Hobbes
              When your game froze, did you notice unusually high CPU usage, like mine had?

Comment

I suspect that it may have been something to do with the number of units that the AI has been attempting to move. Subsequent turns are taking 5mins+ for the AI. I don't have anything to measure CPU usage while SMAX was running so I can't help you there. (Don't see anything on ctrl alt del with ME that I can see.) The turn Darsnan played for me works fine.

Does it happen at the same spot all the time? Can you post a save at all?

Hobbes

Comment

Originally posted by H0bbes
                  I suspect that it may have been something to do with the number of units that the AI has been attempting to move. Subsequent turns are taking 5mins+ for the AI. I don't have anything to measure CPU usage while SMAX was running so I can't help you there. (Don't see anything on ctrl alt del with ME that I can see.) The turn Darsnan played for me works fine.

Does it happen at the same spot all the time? Can you post a save at all?

Hobbes
                  I'd be glad to post a save, if you'll tell me how.

Comment

Originally posted by flankadank

I'd be glad to post a save, if you'll tell me how.

Try click on "post reply" and put your file name in "Attach file"
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I tried to attach the save file, but got a message saying the file is too big.

Comment

Compress it and it should fit.
                        -BBC news

Comment

Ok, I think I've got it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well, the program are also doing looping the loop here and I don't have the experience to dig furter.

Though, a coulple of things worries me a bit.

What are your intentions whit the CP ? Goddammit, you are at war with miriam an you are building a CP in a borderline colony ?

Another thing, study the section about SE - by choosing Demo, Free market, Knowl and Cyber you can reduce your research to breakthroughs every two years and get 135 energy against your presen 9 year and -15 energy. SE is your friend although it doesn't seem that way from start.

Oh, don't cast any spells upon me - I have done funny things too
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

try d3d=0 in your alpha centauri.ini file. See if it's a vidcard issue.
                              #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                              #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Flankadank,

I opened your save and ran into the same problem: Game froze at about the same point several times. By trial and error, and using the scenario editor, I think I found the problem. It's the Graviton Battery in Flankity Robotics. After I disbanded this unit, the game successfully completed the turn.

I don't know why this happened. Game files sometimes become corrupted, especially late in the game with lots of units present.

BlackCat -- That colony pod you mentioned and the SE choices -- It appears that Flankadank is automating all units and has the governor turned on in all bases. It's really the computer playing the game.

Flankadank -- You appear to be ready to move to a higher difficulty level and to start taking control of the game. If you like, start off easy and just control one base and one former. Read past threads here for strategy tips. Another good resource is here:

You'll also want to look at Vel's Strategy Guide v3.0, which can be found here:

(For a more recent version of this guide, which is not free, see the topped thread in this forum titled "At Long Last ...".

If you have any questions, post them here!
                                "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                                -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
                                X