Game freezes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game freezes...

I'm having trouble with Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri freezing up. When it freezes I can still hear the background sound. When I ctrl+alt+del it shows the game using 99% of my CPU. If I end the task (the game) the computer is fine and I can use other programs with no problem.

I had the exact same problem previously with Black & White (using the latest patch). Other people with far older pc's didn't have this problem. I downloaded a program that copied sound files from the Black & White cd to my hard drive. I had no more problems with that game after doing so. Unfortunately, there is no similar program for Alpha Centauri, although I copied the entire cd to my hard drive, which didn't help at all.

At this point the game keeps freezing at one particular spot, running from the cd or hard drive files. It previously froze at other random spots, but now I can't get past this particular one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My specs are:

Abit NF7-S (version 2) mobo
    Radeon 9800 Pro video card
    AMD Athlon 3000+ CPU (not overclocked)
    512 MB Crucial RAM
    Windows XP

I would also like to know which files I need to back up and transfer if I get desperate and decide to install and play on my old slow Win 98 computer.

Please help!!!

What is the status of your Videocard driver and ActiveX version ?

I have heard a lot of people experincing crashes but your problem sounds like VC problems.

Maybe a strange question, but have you virus check enabled and was it active during VC driver installation ? That can prevent updating drivers.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I updated everything when I had the trouble with Black & White, so I have Direct X 9.0C and latest ATI drivers.

Actually, I probably did have Norton running when I installed the newest drivers. I will disable it and try to install the drivers again.

Will post back with results.

Thanks!

Comment

Well, unfortunately that didn't help. I don't know what to try next...

Comment

Have you applied the patches, especially the Win2000/XP update? If not, look here:

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
          -- Kosh

Comment

No, but I will try that next.

The game usually runs fine for awhile before freezing. When I was having this problem with Black & White I was using the Windows XP patch, didn't seem to make a difference.

I will try anyway and post back.

Comment

The patch didn't help either.

: (

Comment

More suggestions:

* Try running the game in Win 95 or Win 98 compatibility mode (see http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...appcompat.mspx).

* Check out the troubleshooting tips here:

You might have to start a new game for some of these suggestions to help. Would especially recommend a complete uninstall/reinstall (including deleting all SMAC files from your HD before reinstalling) if you have't already done so.

HTH
                "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                -- Kosh

Comment

Is your CPU Athlon 64?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

No, it's an Athlon XP 3000+.

Comment

Is the freezing random or does it happen at a particular point?
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Usually it seems random, but there is one point that I can't get past now. It's been freezing at the exact same spot (even playing from the hard drive).

Comment

x
                          If you want to kiss the sky/Better learn how to kneel/On your knees boy - U2, Mysterious Ways

http://zanature.wordpress.com

Comment

I'm running the game on a laptop with windows ME. I don't have problems generally in MP or SP or Scenarios, but I am playing the solstice scenario & I can't get it to play 2256. The game freezes halfway through the turn. Never had this problem before but have completed 2255 a number of times & can't get through 2256. I've done things differently each time to no avail. Here's the turn. If someone can take a look for me I'd appreciate it.

Hobbes
                            Attached Files
                            If you want to kiss the sky/Better learn how to kneel/On your knees boy - U2, Mysterious Ways

http://zanature.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by H0bbes
                              I am playing the solstice scenario & I can't get it to play 2256. The game freezes halfway through the turn. Never had this problem before but have completed 2255 a number of times & can't get through 2256.
                              Hi Hobbes,

I've tried to advance your game, but can't. I get to vote on raising sea levels (it passes), I get several messages that Yang has committed atrocities against Domai, and then against Miriam, then the game stops progressing.... No commands work within the game after this. Any chance you can send me 2254 and see what luck I have with that?

D

Comment

Working...
                              X