Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TERRAN(X).ICD Error

I cannot get SMACX to work. I also did the following:

I can install the Plentary Pack no problem. I installed the Win2000/XP comptibility patch. I even applied the cracks (even though that shouldn't be necessary). I tried to change the AlphaCentauri.ini file with the "Force=1" option. I even applied the official 2.0 patch for SMACX. I tried combinations of the above.

My odd error is that when the game launches, and I get passed the "Your CPU isn't supported" option (by clicking OK), I can enter the game -- but when the ship begins to land (making planetfall) starts, it travels an inch or so and then an error pops up that says, "TERRAN(X).ICD has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." [TERRAN if playing normal SMAC, TERRANX if playing SMACX.]

Now, I can get arround that by clicking on SCENARIO, quitting and restarting but landfall seems to happen sometimes even when I work around this. Also, if this file "fails" then maybe others might.

Yes I even took this to the point of reformatting with all latest drivers... blah blah.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when I use the no CD crack, the same error pops up but the file is TERRAN(X).EXE (I understand that the crack just combines the ICD and old EXE file).

Has anyone gotten this to work besides the old posts concerning this?

Comment

This may be a wild shot, but had you Anti virus active during VC driver install ? If it was, then try disable it - it seriously fvcks up install.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Rif,

Here are some other things to try:

* In the Alpha Centauri.ini file, add (or change, as appropriate)

ds3d=0
        eax=0

* Try running Windows at a lower video resolution.

* Check our FAQ, if you haven't already done so.

* See this link:

for general troubleshooting tips.

Please post again if no luck.
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

Here's somethig interesting.

I pulled out my old copy of SMAC -- not the Planetary Pack -- and installed it. It works with absolutely no problems! Of course I wiped my registry before doing this.

Feeling a little better, I tried all the suggestions made: no AV (I have AV but I usually start it up whenever I want it [including relevant services]), disabling sound (.dll rename trick), changing resolution (to 800 X 600), chaning color depth (16 bit, then to 8 bit), disabling DirectDraw and D3D/EAX, playing with some more .ini settings and some other things.

Nothing works.

I have a P4 3.2 EE, DirectX 9.0c and other things.

I gues I can live with just SMAC -- but disappointed that this recently acquired legal version is -- well -- one of the toughest games to run for me -- hands down.

I do have my old P2 400 I can run it on. Oh well.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

You might want to look at this thread:

if you haven't already read it. The problem appears similar to yours and the original poster found a solution. After reading this thread, it appears that you already tried the fix it contains. Still, you might get another idea.
            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
            -- Kosh

Comment

Also worthy of note is that I think only SMAX uses safedisc (haha, what a name) copy protection.
              #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
              #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Are you running this on Athlon 64?
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Intel Extreme

Comment

Ah, right. You said that already. Maybe you need to apply the P4 workarounds, and there's also an XP patch for SMACX AFAIK.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                    X