SMAC/X is... Genre Defining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC/X is... Genre Defining

Explore the latest news and expert commentary on Features, brought to you by the editors of Game Developer

(First game mentioned under "other")

Which I got from
    Gamasutra has up responses from its frequent feature, the question of the Week. This week's question was a call for the best of the best. "For any genre of your choice, what is the game that defines that genre for you?" From the article: "For the RPG, simply Final Fantasy 6. It has the best story, ...

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri defines the 4X turn-based strategy genre for me. Like all 4X games, it takes forever to play - a problem that I think stems from so few people working in the genre. Unlike most 4X games, the faction leaders are strong characters and the planet has an interesting backstory. I would some day like to see 4X games with more of a story/plot, deeper dialogue, and more dramatic interaction, without getting in the way of the gameplay.
    - Brandon Van Every, Indie Game Design
    Nothing ground breaking, but definitely nice...

Civilization didn't get mentioned
    (but then again GTA didn't either... or even Pikmin )
    I once was a slave to the Alderbaran 2 project!
    Now I shall work towards cIV:AC!... Oh Wait, that's dead too...
    It's Nword like 'lord' and 'sword'

SMAC/X has something that few games nowadays have, clashing of ideologies. Furthermore, you can PICK which faction's ideology you support. The diplomacy is by far the BEST I have ever experienced.

I thought CIV 3 would have it because it came out after SMAC, but it sucked. I like how in SMAC you can tell other faction leaders to basically screw themselves, then tell them...ok ok, I was just kidding here you go.

That, and you can negotiate on a deeper level to have them do what you want. SMAC/X surpasses the test of time.
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Working...
    X