Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strategies for the Consciousness and Pirates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do it in such a complicated way ? Half a dusin of choppers and a couple of ships is usually enough to take over an AI pirate. Best part of it is that it pays itself scrapping naval yards
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan

There always are.
      One thing I've noticed in PBEM play is that Pirate Factions typically haven't done well against their land based opponents.
      With that in mind I looked to the past as far as how were Pirates succesful in the past. For the most part, what I found was that most succesful Pirate empires were based out of archapeligos: archapeligos, to a certain extent, can be seen as a land/ water maze, favoring the defender who is familiar with the layout of the terrain. This holds true in a SMAC(X) PBEM map as well, where land/ sea mazes, equivalent in size to the starting landmasses of their land counterparts, can be built by a CMN for an aquatic based faction. This also then gives the Pirate faction the ability to forest-and-forget, as well as the ability to build boreholes at selected locations. Finally, as noted above, the bonus of knowing the home terrain (as opposed to the typical pirate starting position where the pirates start out in the open sea, where they are vulnerable to attack from every direction!).

D
      That sort of terrain also plays to the Pirates advantage by providing a lot of very productive tiles. With a little forming and a couple of facilities those shallow tiles produce 4-1-4, which is really outstanding.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan

There always are.
        One thing I've noticed in PBEM play is that Pirate Factions typically haven't done well against their land based opponents.
        With that in mind I looked to the past as far as how were Pirates succesful in the past. For the most part, what I found was that most succesful Pirate empires were based out of archapeligos: archapeligos, to a certain extent, can be seen as a land/ water maze, favoring the defender who is familiar with the layout of the terrain. This holds true in a SMAC(X) PBEM map as well, where land/ sea mazes, equivalent in size to the starting landmasses of their land counterparts, can be built by a CMN for an aquatic based faction. This also then gives the Pirate faction the ability to forest-and-forget, as well as the ability to build boreholes at selected locations. Finally, as noted above, the bonus of knowing the home terrain (as opposed to the typical pirate starting position where the pirates start out in the open sea, where they are vulnerable to attack from every direction!).

D
        Thats my problem with the piratesas well. Its tough to get any secure interior bases in a large sea. If itsd a large sea its usually too deep to be really productive
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I am in a number of Pbem games as the Pirates, as are probably a number of you. I don't think there is a sufficent volume of evidence as to a best (Pbem) Strategy. In my view a lot depends on the number of human players and AI players or no AI player, in the game. Contact is the key and I suppose size of map.
          On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Working...
          X