Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binTravkin
    CBA is not D:AP but MMI btw..
    and, working backwards, suggests that MMI was discovered maybe in 2190 - 95 (with 20 - 26 years to build the SP - remember, the AI never rushes it as we do)

So the Drones had reached a level 6 tech after 90 years - that's about standard for a game with little tech trading going on, isn't it (and esp with the drones -2 research)

Comment

Maybe if you are ICSing...

I tend to get MMI pretty early, but not before 2200...

Usually I end up with Superstring Theory and Monopole Magnets by then, then can go for Tachyon Bolts...12-6 chopters kill...by that point, I stop building infantry and just build clean sam chopters...until I get grav ships, assuming I play that long...

Comment

I like to imagine the tech quotes being from the factions that first invented them. Which makes Miriam's quotes especially interesting: just think, she's the first to Psi Gates!

Spartan fans: sorry to observe that Santiago goes deathly quiet after Deirdre steps up the mindworm attacks.

I enjoy Zak's "conversion" experience when he realizes that all his scientific bravado (and scoffing at Skye) was folly and will soon count for naught: "Voice of Planet" is essentially a prayer for mercy addressed to a (slightly) higher power that he'd been denying for centuries.

Morgan's "Research Hospital" reveals his innate ruthlessness. Yang must have quietly admired the relentless cruelty.

In the quotes (and in the backstory), Miriam doesn't come across as fanatic at all. No "heretics must die", no "heathens must convert or perish", none of the stuff she's accused of by some other factions and their RL proponents.Miriam's quotes indicate her true attitude: "all factions are here to win, and I wish our faction could get tech faster, but I worry about the dehumanising consequences."

The way I play the diplomatic game she's a solid, dependable ally whom I _don't_ have to force to surrender to get along with just fine. So I summarise my reading of her mind as: "We Believers will fight hard if we have to, but a peaceful allied victory will do even better: second place is better than none."
        ftp://ftp.sff.net/pub/people/zoetrope/MOO2/
        Zoe Trope

Comment

Thanks Googlie, that analysis really helps me out.

Zak has an epiphany? Which quote is that? But yeah, sounds like Santiago and Zak both end up on the business end of a mindworm attack.
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I tend to get MMI pretty early, but not before 2200
            In a SMAC faction 7 human game MMI would be around 2170-2180.

In regular CGN tournament (Large map, 4 players no AI) MMI arrives between 2175 and 2200 depending on how good the players are and how much hi-research factions there are..
            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Franky:

(Hmm, I have a very young nephew named Franky, but I don't think he's into Alpha Centauri yet: when I visited his family in February he and his brothers were playing some edition of Worms on a console. Fantastic 3D graphics, but no diplomacy.)

Zak would meet his end at the tentacles of a planet-generated wormstorm, along with the rest of the human race, but for his sudden realisation of the error of his ways. By repenting and building the Voice of Planet project, he staves off Mindworms Armageddon (original copyright Atari, I think, new improved product title copyright Zoetrope). Thus there remains time to build the Ascent to Transcendance project, if that's how you want to win.

As for me, I anticipate the catastrophe by various measures, for example paving my entire territory with fungus. It's the late game's massive mineral production of fungus that blows the ecodamage sky high, but wormstacks only pop up with ecodamage induced new patches of fungus, and there can't be any fungus growth where fungus already is, so i'm laughing. Just to be on the safe side, I cover my entire territory with my own locusts, and ample ground worms too.

Poor Zak never thought of that. Took Morgan (the faction leader I was playing at the time) to wise up to how to beat Planet's schemes by using Planet's own cerebral cortex as a defence.
              ftp://ftp.sff.net/pub/people/zoetrope/MOO2/
              Zoe Trope

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie

and, working backwards, suggests that MMI was discovered maybe in 2190 - 95 (with 20 - 26 years to build the SP - remember, the AI never rushes it as we do)
                What level are you playing at ? At trancend where I typically play I've often seen that the AI rushes SP's. Especially Roze and Drones has a nasty habit of spending energy/SC/units on that.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Googlies estimate was indeed poor as at the time there is MMI AI can finish a SP in 10-15 turns, but I suppose he was thinking that

the AI never rushes it as we do
                  Meaning it never:
                  cashes in a 200+ mineral costing NeedleJetSupply built from instabuild and then finishes up by a regular crawler upgraded to have best armor and special abilities available (so it's cost is 50+).
                  -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                  -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Working...
                  X