The Countries of SMAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MysticWind
    Again, I don't know where the italicized country profiles above come from. They're like the Firaxis profiles, except in the Firaxis ones, there's no references to Stalingrad or West Germany.

Besides, even if the U.S.S.R. came back to life, it's not like they're going to be able to divide up Germany again.
    Answer (click on factions button on the right)
    Note, this are old, original faction profiles.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

More likely conquered by China, with ruling classes of Taiwan failing to leave the county in time being deported to the country side of China.

Anyway the membership of each faction isn't based on nationality but instead is based on ideology. Not counting the aliens, you have 12 choices, each of which is a fanatic.

Dierbre : wants to kill everyone that isn't green enough.

Morgon : wants to kill everyone that isn't free enterprizistic enough.

Yang: wants to kill everyone that doesn't surrender his will to that of the collective. (Yang's will)

etc.

Originally posted by Frankychan
      I think that "Greater China" indicates that China finally gains all their lost lands from British rule. Taiwan eventually reintegrates with mainland China.
      Last edited by joncnunn; April 6, 2005, 14:39.
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I never understood Morgan ingame, he should not be hostile. He should react to hostile events, but he should really not give a crap what kind of economic system you are running. Like today's multinationals, they just don't care who they sell to as long as the income keeps growing.

Morgan going to war because I won't give him a tech would be like Canada going to war with the US (if they were closer in military might ) because the US won't remove these damned softwood lumber tariffs. You lose way too many other benefits, namely the treaty income.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
          More likely conquered by China, with ruling classes of Taiwan failing to leave the county in time being deported to the country side of China.
          Anything's possible, but my guess is that China's too busy dealing with the Fallen and other "rogue guerrilla fighters." Of course, that's mentioned in Centauri Dawn, and we have no idea when what happened.

Again, I must ask: who wrote the faction profiles? Michael Ely?

Did you get the idea for the above scenario from Ender's Shadow series?

May I've enjoyed "Joe" too much, but I think Yang must have retained some of China's traditional authoritarianism for his faction. Of course, one does not need to be Chinese to be an evil communist atheist dictator in charge of a police state. Though I could understand if he adopted some motifs, like dragons and whatever.

I wonder if Cha Dawn and his factions have a background based on Asian cultures, one he made up himself for his Planet-loving culture, or the developers just thought, "Hey, Asian mysticism!" and added it in.

Comment

God, they even screwed New Zealand up? Man, I don't want to live that long if the whole world is going screwy...honestly, if this all happens before 2060...heck, at 2060, I'll be exactly 70 years old...probably wouldn't make it on the Unity...too old...

Comment

Yang is a benevolent, authoritative, communal Father shepherding the communal utopia!

But anyway,

Originally posted by Whitering

never understood Morgan ingame, he should not be hostile. He should react to hostile events, but he should really not give a crap what kind of economic system you are running. Like today's multinationals, they just don't care who they sell to as long as the income keeps growing.

Morgan going to war because I won't give him a tech would be like Canada going to war with the US (if they were closer in military might ) because the US won't remove these damned softwood lumber tariffs. You lose way too many other benefits, namely the treaty income.
              I agree, when Morgan starts complaining about my Planned economy and declares Vendetta I just laugh...he obviously doesn't understand what he's getting into. And probably doesn't see my expeditionary force parked on his border.

The idiot.
              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
              *****Citizen of the Hive****
              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Yang is a benevolent, authoritative, communal Father shepherding the communal utopia!
                and he can support masses and masses of troops
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

And my local MP is a selfless, hardworking, compassionate public servant
                  "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

That's what they said about God, that's what Cha Dawn claims, and that's what Domai promises...

Yang really isn't that great when you considering that there are 12 human factions...no faction leader is really that great when 11 twelths of the population disagree with them...they aren't necessarily bad, but if anything...Morgan has just as many followers as Yang...

And besides, I don't like communism, never mind my name...

Comment

Norway, West Indies, India, Pakistan (they engage into the single most devastating war ever),
                      Norway, for some reason i just can't imagine them being the culprit of humanities damnation.
                      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Well, during world war II, norway was the only country in Europe that produced heavy water. Norway is also the only major source of Uranium in Europe...the Nazis many times attacked the Heavy Water Plant, followed by British commando attacks to sabotage the plant...

Comment

Bah! More Morgan/Lal propaganda! Morgan's quote about "the local power plant" should show his true nature. Yang's just misunderstood.

Although in my games, Zeta-5 and Domai tend to like my....Yang's rule. I'm in a game right now saving all the other factions from both Aliens. Taking both of them on and saving Morgan, Zeta-5 (Domai got hit early), I mean...can anyone else take on the aliens at the same time?

Lal would be suing for peace, Morgan would flee....ok, maybe Zak and his high-tech weapons...
                          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                          *****Citizen of the Hive****
                          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

ok, maybe Zak and his high-tech weapons...
                            Only if he was working on behalf of the mighty Chairman otherwise the Hiverian war machine would take all three !!!
                            Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Actually, I have seen the drones take on both Aliens and win...numerous times...

Haven't seen anyone else fair as well as them...only person even close to the drones that I have seen kill the aliens would be the believers, not the Hive...

In fact, most of my games, Hive is right down there with the Morgans and Spartans...GO UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You've got some odd AI there then, the Hive is probably the best faction for the computer to play because of the way it handles drones, combined with industry + growth + support which are the only things the AI can use.

Comment

Working...
                                X