noob: cheating mandatory retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob: cheating mandatory retirement

I'm playing my first game still, and holy cow, look at the date! I'm playing on Librarian, and I'm out of a job in less than a hundred turns! I didn't want to be a conqueror. I was content to conduct my social experiments and quietly make my way up the technology ladder while beautifying the interior of my borders. But Miriam and her powerful consort Deirdre decided that I was too successful. Not terribly interested in backing down and bribery, I've found my first game to be more of a war game than an empire building sim. Fine. You want war? You got war!

But the clock is ticking. Miriam ruined my plans for a quiet building game toward transcendence, and I have a pike awaiting her severed head back at the Hive. But I need time. And, lucky bastard that he is, Lal landed on a huge continent, all to himself, and has been building the peaceful empire that I wanted all along. I think we'll just 'discover' a tech called "Doctrine: Manifest Destiny" and roll over his ass as well.

So, how do I avoid the gold watch ceremony in 2400? I don't mind being branded as a cheater; I'll just take whatever score I get at 2400 as my honest accomplishment and consider everything after as part of the learning experience. I put a lot of work into the game, and I want to win!

(I realize this is a noob question, so I've dolled up the post a bit to make it worth your while to read.)

No problem. After retirement (actually, it's 2500, not 2400) you can keep on playing but it will not count in the scoreboard.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Re: noob: cheating mandatory retirement

Originally posted by doctorfrog
      So, how do I avoid the gold watch ceremony in 2400?
      In your computer go to the subdirectory that houses SMAC(X) (typically this is located in the C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri subdirectory). Open up the alpha.txt file. Scroll down about 20 lines till you see the #RULES header. Follow this section down till you hit the following lines:

2100 ; Normal starting year
      2600 ; Normal ending year for lowest 3 difficulty levels
      2500 ; Normal ending year for highest 3 difficulty levels

Change the numbers to whatever you want.

D

Comment

Always with the alphax.txt solutions, eh, Darsnan?

#play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
        #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Ah, an elegant solution. I won't be using it this time around, but thanks. This alpha.txt seems worth poking around in.

Now, to resist the temptation to start a "post your favorite alpha.txt mods because i'm too lazy to use the search function" thread.

Comment

Suggestion: go to AC-Creation and set it to show more than the last 10 days worth of threads. We could use more traffic around there.
            #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
            #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Originally posted by #endgame
              Always with the alphax.txt solutions, eh, Darsnan?

Anyways, in a nutshell, why my answer was correct, as well as introducing new players to a different dimension of the game they may not have been aware of.
              And who knows, they may teach us old dogs some new tricks!

D

Comment

Working...
              X