Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCP/IP - does it works in SMAC?

Long live the SMAC!

I have encountered strange problem: AC does not work by TCP/IP. Just didn't wants to find host (with IP adress).

Have tried installing same versions of the Game (firewall is off).. tried it with 4 people for now, and now absoulutely don't know what to do..

There is a "IP.exe" file in the game directory, as im sure you know. It generates txt file with data about system. I found that in this file, among other data:

[NETWORK]

** Network Adapters **

Modem: No Network Adapter Installed.
    IP Address: Disabled
    Subnet Mask: Disabled
    Default Getway:

Winsock Desc.: WinSock 2.0
    Winsock Status: Running

Does your system generate the same data?

If you have expirience with it, can you help? Does the best game work with TCP/IP?
    --
    English is not my native language,
    so im sorry if i made any not intertaining mistakes. :)

Works with me - I can both host a game and join a game - both SMAC and SMAX

Comment

It worked for me as well
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Thanks for reply!

I can only do it on one machine: make a host, and than join myself. But not to another computer. Hmm.. something wrong with my internet connection, maybe.
        --

Comment

...or the problem could still be SMAC. It is very picky when it comes to TCP/IP play. Among many things, you have to have a public IP address even if you want to join a game (as opposed to hosting it). If you have Win XP and the Compatibility Patch, all the other players must have that patch installed to play with you.
          I love the tick of the Geiger counter in the morning. It's the sound of... victory! :D
          LoD - Owner/Webmaster of civ.org.pl
          civ.org.pl's Discussion Forums and Multiplayer System for SMAC and Civs 2-4

Comment

I have a Mac, and tried unsuccessfully to Host/Join with a PC. Then I read that you need the same exact executable which meant that all PCs were out. So I found a sole active person out there with a Mac, and he and I had the same patch 1.2.1 and it still didn't work - with both Hosting / Joining.
            I suspect they never tested it.
            Anybody have luck connecting TCP/IP with a Mac?
            -freshman

Comment

--

Comment

Working...
              X