Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A SMAC review you may not have seen before

The Maoist take on SMAC

Well I thought, all things considered, it wasn't too bad a take on the game.
    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Someone obviously needs to send them a copy of SMAX
      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
        Someone obviously needs to send them a copy of SMAX
        And to teach them about the various victory conditions as well. It cracks me up that they take a game which has numerous ways to win (economic, diplomatic, spiritual) and ignore all those to win a conquest victory and then complain that the game is a war game whereby one can only conquer (by genocide) or perish. No wonder commies have such bad opinions of everyone else, they assume everyone else is like them.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Some one is reading WAAAAY too much into a video game. This guy is suggesting that the police station in SIM City 3K is capitalist propaganda to make police seem a desirable force in a city......

Umm.....dude......it's just a game
          "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
          "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
          "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
          "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

hmm, but seriously thinking most games are won by war and diplomatical/economical victories almost does not exist.
            Diplomatical because someone always might reject it and it will be conquest then anyway.
            Economical, because you usually need BIG army to hold those 20 turns..
            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Transcendence is often easier than conquering every last city. Diplomacy works if the other factions are inclined to accept the result of the vote (as is the case in SP).
              "Cutlery confused Stalin"
              -BBC news

Comment

Yeah, but not in MP.
                MP is more important IMO
                -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by livid imp
                  Some one is reading WAAAAY too much into a video game. This guy is suggesting that the police station in SIM City 3K is capitalist propaganda to make police seem a desirable force in a city......

Umm.....dude......it's just a game
                  uhh police are a desirable force.

when our population allows people to carry guns, I'm happy to have police around to enforce the laws that these psychos don't use those guns.

Comment

transcendence is the way I always win. It's too much of a pain conquering everything.

Economic? Has anyone ever won that way? It's impossible! I can never do it. soon as I get around 60000 energy, I have an energy market crash. I can never accumulate a high amount of energy.

Comment

I think what the reviewer is trying to say is the game, or the factions, have a predisposition for war as opposed to any other way of winning. Lets be honest it's true. Even the so called peaceful factions want to go to war if they get big enough. It's a sad commentary on the human race.

Economic Victory: I've done that quite a few times. I have had the market crash on me more than once though.

Comment

Well, if you've tried to read more of their reviews (and its homepage) you'll see that ALL the analysis "insert" propaganda in them. A lot of propaganda. Really, these guys are waaay outta this world (and by this comment I don't want to critizise Maoism: its a perfectly respectable ideology as any other. Its just a matter of viewpoint.
                        (And PLEASE don't start talking about politics here like in some other threads, which are still on the run -for example, the one that started talking about Social Eng. and now is talking about D-Day and Italy...)
                        "Too much ambition is a sin...only if you fail"
                        Yoritomo Kumiko

Comment

If I had a copy of Chairman Mao's Little Red Book, I'd know precisely where to shove it.

Comment

Do you feel the drum of OT Talk approaching?!?

(nono, it's not me this time.. )

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Icewind
                              Well, if you've tried to read more of their reviews (and its homepage) you'll see that ALL the analysis "insert" propaganda in them. A lot of propaganda. Really, these guys are waaay outta this world (and by this comment I don't want to critizise Maoism: its a perfectly respectable ideology as any other. Its just a matter of viewpoint.
                              (And PLEASE don't start talking about politics here like in some other threads, which are still on the run -for example, the one that started talking about Social Eng. and now is talking about D-Day and Italy...)
                              I'm glad you brought up D-Day and Italy, as I think that they are particularly pertinent to this discussion because.....oh never mind.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X