Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAX CD made of gold ?

Hi everybody,

after playing SMAC with growing enthusiasm for some years now, I was thrilled by the thought of having seven new factions and the other upgrades from the SMAX add-on.

But since you cant find it in the stores anymore, I entered ebay and the prices are at 25 Euros seven days before the end of the auction. How can that be??? I bought SMAC at a price of 5 Euros at our local supermarket! (right in front of the exit, where they are normally selling cheap rubbish. What a pity for a great game like this...) And that was the real game, not just the upgrade!

Are there only twenty copies left worldwide or is it just that nobody wants to give his copy away, once he has it? (Would be my guess) There seem to be SMAC copies around everywhere but not a single game of SMAX for a reasonable price. (I'm sorry but I cannot spend that much money on computergames)

Sigh... I guess I have to be content with my SMAC game until the prices are dropping or I finally got rich.

P.S. Perhaps I should somehow gather the money and get the US version altogether. Your comments on the audio samples that come with the SPs indicate that they are definitely funnier than the German ones. Example? Following the first Network node you hear: "Listen people listen!" chorus: " WE HAVE A NETWORK NODE!" (or similar) Not very funny, is it?

Am I getting insane or is this really happening? There is somebody at amazon.de selling a new copy of SMAX at the price of 99.00 Euro! That used to be 200 D-Mark!

Have you noticed the small icon beneath the price indicating it's a "price hit" This is meant to be a special offer? What is the normal price then? How many game add-ons for brand new games do you know that are sold for half the price?

Why haven't I bought six copies of SMAX when I had the chance? Sold now they could get me a new computer!

The MAC version is only 15 Euro though..

Comment

Re: SMAX CD made of gold ?

Originally posted by Stormwatcher
      I entered ebay and the prices are at 25 Euros seven days before the end of the auction. How can that be??? I bought SMAC at a price of 5 Euros at our local supermarket!
      Probably the price is only going to go up from here. Essentially back in 2003 the price was higher, IIRC. Then "The Laptop Collection" came out, which was a collection of CD's that included both SMAC and SMAX. This drove the E-Bay price right down. However now that the Laptop Collection is no longer available, why the E-Bay price for SMAX is probably going to creep back up again.

Are there only twenty copies left worldwide or is it just that nobody wants to give his copy away, once he has it? (Would be my guess)
      From my understanding Morgan Entertainment is sitting on a sh#tload of copies, however they are only making a few available at a time, in order to keep the demand high and thus the price (and profits) at a premium. Very capitalistic of them, wouldn't you say?

There seem to be SMAC copies around everywhere but not a single game of SMAX for a reasonable price. (I'm sorry but I cannot spend that much money on computergames)
      Sorry to hear that. Probably in about another 2 years someone will re-release SMAX at a reasonable price. Either that or else Civ4 will have replaced SMAC(X) as the game of choice, and this conversation will be moot at that point .

P.S. Perhaps I should somehow gather the money and get the US version altogether. Your comments on the audio samples that come with the SPs indicate that they are definitely funnier than the German ones. Example? Following the first Network node you hear: "Listen people listen!" chorus: " WE HAVE A NETWORK NODE!" (or similar) Not very funny, is it?
      Actually it is, but not in a really funny "ha ha" way. Yeah, I'd agree with you - get the English version if you really enjoy the finer nuances of the game.

D

Comment

[QUOTE]Either that or else Civ4 will have replaced SMAC(X) as the game of choice

I have never been a real Civ player, I stumbled over SMAC more or less by accident, knowing the name Sid Meier and reading in the description that there are several ways to win. So I bought it for a try and it quickly became one of my favourite games.

Now that I love the complexity of SMAC, perhaps I should take a second look at the civ games.

Comment

I have never been a real Civ player, I stumbled over SMAC more or less by accident, knowing the name Sid Meier and reading in the description that there are several ways to win. So I bought it for a try and it quickly became one of my favourite games.

Now that I love the complexity of SMAC, perhaps I should take a second look at the civ games.
          I personally have never played a Civ game (i.e. Civ 1, 2, or 3), as I am a Sci-Fi fanatic, so can't recommend any of the Civ games to you.
          What has been commented about Civ 4 is that it is going to be a very modable game, meaning that "possibly " we can recreate/ modify SMACX to our own choosing. Thats what really interests me about Civ 4. However, we will have to wait and see there.....

D

Comment

What has been commented about Civ 4 is that it is going to be a very modable game, meaning that "possibly " we can recreate/ modify SMACX to our own choosing.
            That would be brilliant! Although I just started my first attempts on SMAC-modding...

Comment

Re: SMAX CD made of gold ?

Are there only twenty copies left worldwide or is it just that nobody wants to give his copy away, once he has it? (
              I have a copy of SMAX over here and another in Australia.

They could only be taken from me by prising them from the grasp of my pale blue-white dead fingers.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

laptop collection is no longer available? I'm glad I got mine when I did though. .

Comment

I think I got the last copy of the Planetary Pack left on sale in England...
                  SMAX is on sale on the amazon.co.uk marketplace for about £20 these days; while that's extortionate, it's not entirely beyond reason. I'm just worried because my CD is getting creaky these days..
                  "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

I thought it was a song at first too. But it is a Spartan march. Which explains the lack of accompanying music.

I don't know but I've been told,
                    Deirdre's got a Network Node.
                    Likes to press the on-off switch,
                    Dig that crazy Gaian witch!
                    - Spartan Barracks March

Try this link for the rest of the voiceovers in English:

I hold a scrap of paper in the darkness and light it. I watch it burn bright and curl, disappearing into nothingness, and the heat burns my fingers. Where has it gone? What has it become? I cannot shake the feeling that I have witnessed a form of transcendence.

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies
                      I think I got the last copy of the Planetary Pack left on sale in England...
                      SMAX is on sale on the amazon.co.uk marketplace for about £20 these days; while that's extortionate, it's not entirely beyond reason. I'm just worried because my CD is getting creaky these days..
                      I use a no cd patch. I recommend it highly. That way the only time you have to use it, is when reinstalling. Just keep them in a safe place.

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies I'm just worried because my CD is getting creaky these days..
                        Copy your original CD pronto, or else use the .exe crack.
                        He who knows others is wise.
                        He who knows himself is enlightened.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Oh yeah, I have the crack, I'm just bothered that next time I come to install the thing the disc's going to be too beaten-up to manage it :/ I'll give copying another go, but last time it got halfway through and died.
                          "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
                          X