Has there ever been....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has there ever been....?

I was wondering just today...has there ever been on 'Poly a SMAC/SMAX tournament or some kind of competition between individual players? It could be a good idea...or mebee not, I let you ppl decide...
    "Too much ambition is a sin...only if you fail"
    Yoritomo Kumiko

There was

A tournament with seasons and standings ran over a number of "seasons" on playtested or "fair" maps. I believe over 50 SMAC and 50 more SMAX games got started and many got finished. the threads were named like ACT 03 or AXT45.

a head to head tourney ran here for a very short while as well.

Over at CGN they ran a couple of long running tourneys and in fact I think they may even be continuing. The vets series was an interesting one where 4 players and no AI competed on identical islands more than 8 tiles from any other land (the islands were in each corner with wrap around off) plus a large central continent with lots of jungle ( with 4 spiralling identical arms)
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

The vets series was an interesting one where 4 players and no AI competed on identical islands more than 8 tiles from any other land (the islands were in each corner with wrap around off) plus a large central continent with lots of jungle ( with 4 spiralling identical arms)
      wow, sounds cool
      What type of idiot quotes himself
      -paramir

Comment

Originally posted by paramir

wow, sounds cool
        very strategic and planned since the map was known and everyone knew that no rovers would be showing up-- Also pods were off so there was almost no incentive to explore except to the extent you needed to patrol

I played two games on the map-- got rolled by buster in one game and won the second-- It was a fun map in that chop and drop was difficut with no landmass within 8 tiles of another. Air wars were long range and it was possible to have a pretty safe interior
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Over at CGN they ran a couple of long running tourneys and in fact I think they may even be continuing.
          They are continuing:

CGN 25
          CGN 24
          CGN 23
          CGN 22
          CGN 21
          CGN 20
          CGN 19
          CGN 18
          CGN 17
          CGN 14

are going on at quite a pace (some even up to 3 turns/day)

and CGN 16 has recently ended with a victory for jtsisyoda

Also
          Vets 7 is still running (turn 2211)

And players sign up for CGN, Vets and H2H games.

Actually it seems that Buster is not used for such a pace of signup, so there are some delays in his CMN work..
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Mh...so there are tournaments...I guess I'll polish my techniques with da Pirates a bit more and then i'll start thinking to play more seriously...but as always, i'll try to have as much fun as I can! (God I love this game... )

(edit) Loads of gramatical errors...believe me, doing somthing too quickly is bad...
            "Too much ambition is a sin...only if you fail"
            Yoritomo Kumiko

Comment

Working...
            X