How do you boost the SMAC AI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you boost the SMAC AI?

Seriously, I just started playing SMAC about 3 weeks ago and have to admit this game awesome. I've played Civ3 and Rome: Total War, but it seems that none are as innovative (if you rule out graphic and sound) as SMAC. I especially like the part that you can design your own units and the AI, which is really really good, better than Civ3 in my opinion. Almost in every game I play, my allied AI will send their forces to guard my bases if they are under-garrisoned, and occasionally, give me the control of some of their units. They really make units to counter yours too.

Now my question is: is there a way to make the AI even smarter? BTW, I am currently playing around the Talent and Librarian level. Is there a mod, or, does the expansion pack: Alien Crossfire, make the AI even more challenging? By challenging I don't mean in terms of resources or military power, I mean military maneauvers and diplomatic manipulations? Of course, I am already very satisfied, just want to know if there's something else I've not tried out yet?

Thanks.

Re: How do you boost the SMAC AI?

Originally posted by NobleJms
    Now my question is: is there a way to make the AI even smarter? BTW, I am currently playing around the Talent and Librarian level.
    Yeah, play on Transcend!

Seriously though, the AI can't really be "tweaked" in itself. You can design units (as you stated above) to enhance the AI's abilities. One great ability that comes with SMAX is the "Marine Detachment", which allows equipped units to "board" enemy ships and captures them. The units then can come back and attack you! Nothing worse than sending out a transport full of elite troops and then have it come right back at you flying your enemies flag!

Is there a mod,
    Smacksim's Aldebaran mod is probably the best note that the current Aldebaran discussions are regarding the SMAX version of this mod).

does the expansion pack: Alien Crossfire, make the AI even more challenging?
    It gives you two alien Factions to deal with, which are much tougher AI Factions.

By challenging I don't mean in terms of resources or military power, I mean military maneauvers and diplomatic manipulations?
    I'd say not significantly. However, thats why a majority of us here play PBEM - because playing against another human is much more intense than playing against an AI.

D

Comment

Re: How do you boost the SMAC AI?

By challenging I don't mean in terms of resources or military power
      yet still resources are something giving the AI so many more options to act.

In one of my pbem games with a friend i play spartans. Lal is an AI, which is supplied with a lot of energy. We were at the point when all AI were fighting with us, actually intentionally we setup the game this way. So Lal had vendetta with me. I conquered one of Lal's bases and entered it with like three 4-1-1 infantry, two 1-3pt-1, one rover 1-2-2 and four land troop transports. I had a probe team there, but the guys got caught in the nearby Lal's base... So the Peacekeeper promptly came with his spy and spending like 900 EC just mindcontrolled my base. He had like 940 EC total. My cost would be between 3000 and 4000 thousands i think. Quite brilliant move - my offensive was stopped for longer time. My friend, who each turn drained like 100 EC from Lal could no longer do it. He even complained to me, that in spite of having pact with him, i did it intentionally so to cut this energy flow to him (I did not do it intentionally, it was just serious mistake on my part!) Also the unit 1-3pt-1 quite modern for that times has been copied like in 30 units or so... AI likes to copy some probed units from human players - those top of the line. 1-2-2 got neglected, not a single unit was made by Lal. And all of this by some more energy supply to the AI faction. It was a painfull lesson to me.
      Mart
      Map creation contest
      WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Working...
      X