Numeric sizes of small/std/huge maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numeric sizes of small/std/huge maps?

Trying to make a chart of beuracracy limits, and I need to know planet size to figure the value of MapRoot.

Has anyone done such a chart already? If not, is there a list somewhere of the actual planet sizes? I looked in Datalinks and could not find any numeric values for the maps.

TIA for any info/url/RTFM you can provide.

The information on planet sizes is in the section labeled #WORLDSIZE in Alpha(x).txt. Here's mine. (These are the defaults. The numbers can be modded.)

#WORLDSIZE
    Tiny planet|(early conflict), 24, 48
    Small planet, 32, 64
    Standard planet, 40, 80
    Large planet, 44, 90
    Huge planet|(late conflict), 64, 128
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

IIRC, either alpha.txt or alphax.txt has a quirk where the numbers aren't "real."

The first number is correct, but the second number is doubled to get the map width...
      I once was a slave to the Alderbaran 2 project!
      Now I shall work towards cIV:AC!... Oh Wait, that's dead too...
      It's Nword like 'lord' and 'sword'

Comment

Nword, I think your memory is almost correct. I created a new game on a Standard planet, and the zero column was numbered 0,0 to 0,78. The column to the right of the zero column was numbered 1,1 to 1,79.

That would make the map 79x79, and since alpha(x).txt says Standard size is (40,80), the formula would be:

((#WORLDSIZE Number 1 * 2) - 1) by
        ((#WORLDSIZE Number 2 ) - 1)

Can that be correct?

Comment

Note that the row numbers don't increment by 1 in any given column. That is, the tile below (0,0) is (0,2), not (0,1). Similarly, the tile below (1,1) is (1,3). That means that a Standard map really does have 40 x 80 = 3200 tiles.
          "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
          -- Kosh

Comment

Forgot to check the ones under (0,0) and (1,1)! Thank you very much for that tidbit. So I *can* use the #WORLDSIZE numbers in the calculation. Problem solved, now to get those colony pods built -- it's time to populate the continent!

Mille grazie!

Comment

Working...
            X