Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dissident
    Nothing is "fully moddable"

there will be somethings the code will not allow. Like psychic combat with mindworms.

and no way would the economic and political aspects of SMAC be recreatable.
    While I share your skeptism, if the game is written in the right way, even psi combat and SE could be added to the game. It really all depends on whether or not the devs decide to allow those things to be modable.
    "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
    "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
    "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

I think it would be hard to mod the goverment choices, economic models and future societies. Who knows. We'll wait and see.

Comment

Thinking about it, psi combat has a good chance of being recreatable-- if weapons are completely moddable, then differences in allowed attacks and defenses (as in infantry vs. artillery) should be able to be narrowed onto the morale modifier alone.

Still concerned that raise/lower terrain and its effects could remain elusive...

And there's a reason Civ is weak on SE-- Civ is about nations. SMAC presents the incredible what-if of building a world without preconceived ideas of race or culture. Prejudice and arrogance perhaps-- but philosophical prejudice, not ignorant bigotry.

Factions are not nations, and it remains to be seen if the new Civ engine can allow for the degree of creativity needed to realize SMAC players' imaginations.

GFC
        "The first rule of Girlfight Club: No one gossips about Girlfight Club. That means you, Sheryl."
        -----------------------------
        Girlfight_club of Toliman has authorized a secret project, "The Planetary Datalinks": http://planetarydatalinks.hub.io

Comment

true, a faction is not a nation.

but smac really is a takeoff of civ2 which was about nations. although more accurately it was a bunch of individual cities tied together

and the design workshop would be difficult to create as someone said in the other thread (bad news thread), but we may be able to work around that with enough different unit designs.

Comment

Ohhh..

Hey, that's one brillant idea! ...
            Hope Civ4 is up to my hopes though..but anyway, recreating one of my fav games will always (or so) be good. I would help as much as I could.
            "Too much ambition is a sin...only if you fail"
            Yoritomo Kumiko

Comment

The only thing about the workshop is that it messes with reality. Basically, it is saying that guys with semi-auto pistols have the same defense as guys with missiles and the same defense as guys with quantum lasers. While armor helps defense, if you can't defeat the enemy with your weaponry, eventually, no matter how good the armor, they are going to defeat you...

Comment

I think you're quibbling about armour and weapons. We could call armour anything we wanted in the Workshop. Even something as nonspecific as "Defensive capablity enabled through Tech".

Comment

Working...
                X