Technical problem: numeric keypad no longer works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical problem: numeric keypad no longer works

I recently reinstalled SMAC/X after a couple of years off my computer. My problem is that I can no longer use my numeric keypad to move my units or the cursor. I must use the hated mouse. Anyone has had this problem and found a fix?

Fiddle the numlock key.
    #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
    #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Simplest solution is normally the last we try
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerus
        Simplest solution is normally the last we try
        Well, that was the first one I tried.

Comment

Have you applied all SMAC/SMAX patches?
          "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
          -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by Petek
            Have you applied all SMAC/SMAX patches?
            The SMAX patch 2.0 I found on Apolyton. Incidentally, that caused an error message and prevented the game from working (cpu not supported), but I found a solution in another thread.

Comment

While trying to reproduce your problem, I found that (on my system) the state of the numlock key had no effect on moving units with the keypad. That is, units respond to pressing the numeric keys no matter whether numlock is on or off. Never noticed this before.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest a complete uninstall and reinstall. Be sure to delete all files in the Alpha Centauri folder if the automated uninstall doesn't do so. You'll have to reapply the "forceoldvoxelalgorithm" fix again.
              "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
              -- Kosh

Comment

I play on a laptop and have to use mouse too. but I'm used to it. it's coz i would loose 9 letters, bunkers k and sensor o including, and yup - my numeric does not work too.

I have xp, my cpu is also not supported by game works. Try to neglect the message.
                Mart
                Map creation contest
                WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up reinstalling the whole thing and now it works, provided Num Lock is off. Either I had not properly tested it earlier or there indeed was a problem with my earlier installation. One does not exclude the other.

Comment

yes for some reason I have to turn the num lock off for it to work. I'm not sure if that was always the case, or only now that I have it running on windows XP pro.

Comment

Working...
                    X