zak and free market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zak and free market

I'm interested how early do people playing zak switch to free market? By the time you pop boom the +1 energy per square will definitly be worth it even if you have no drone control facilities (which is amazingly stupid but still possible if you miss VW) and with the VW becomes amazing. However in my experience in the early game you only get about 1 more mineral a turn due to having to use about 30% psych. Still 1 extra cash a turn or 1 less turn for research which can build a turn advantage though slowly. Adding wealth decreases mineral costs but doesn't add any money or research the difference between +2 and +3 eon being only in commerace which in the early game you don't have. Though the 10% decrease in things such as wonders could be important. Anyway done rambeling now, what are others thoughts?
    A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

FM + Wealth is a must for Zak and any other player who have any use of them

Cult, Gaia, Hive, Sparta are exclusions
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
      FM + Wealth is a must for Zak and any other player who have any use of them

Cult, Gaia, Hive, Sparta are exclusions
      Playing Zak, I will sometimes go green. It will give you really good efficiency which will bring in a lot of energy without the negative police of free market. This works especially well the bigger the empire where efficiency can become a problem. The other advantage of going green is that helps Zak stay friends with Deirdre.
      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

hmm still doesn't answer my question how soon do you go free market, as soon as you have the tech and the money or do you wait until you have more population ect.

Comment

Originally posted by dacole
          hmm still doesn't answer my question how soon do you go free market, as soon as you have the tech and the money or do you wait until you have more population ect.
          I will usually go FM as soon as I get the tech. The sooner you can get some extra energy, the sooner you can boost your tech and the sooner you boost your tech, the bigger the tech lead in the long term.
          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
          G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Any tricks in dealing with the drone problem other than just pushing up psych, building facilites VW being one of the most important. Thanks!

Comment

Re: zak and free market

Originally posted by dacole
              Adding wealth decreases mineral costs but doesn't add any money or research the difference between +2 and +3 eon being only in commerace which in the early game you don't have.
              Not true! +3 econ gives +2 energy/base, just like +4 econ is supposed to. In the early game, this is as big as the gain from +0 to +2 econ.

+1 industry is very nice itself, as it has a cumulative turn advantage effect. Building formers/rec tanks/whatever sooner allows you to benefit from them sooner which allows you to make more bases/units/facilities sooner, etc. There's a reason no SE setting gives more than +1 industry until Future Societies. This is also why Power is so maligned and part of why Yang and Domai are so powerful.
              "Cutlery confused Stalin"
              -BBC news

Comment

Ah thanks for the correction Chaos was going by the datalinks forgot they had been proven to be incoreect in this instance thanks for the reminder.

Comment

VW is no problem for zak, you are first to have IA, first to get 9-10 crawlers and first to get VW and in many cases other valuable SPs too (PTS + VW combo is simply unchallengable)
                  -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                  -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Once you can do Eudaimonia, swith off of FM to planned or green...if the game lasts that long...

Comment

I find going FM as early as possible, or going wealth as early as possible and FM shortly afterward work well with Zac. I simply don't find drones to be a problem. I take Centauri Ecology 1st, and the beeline to Industrial Automation, usually picking up the recycling tank tech along the way. My 1st SP is either the HGP or the WP. I save the VW for 3rd.

FM / Wealth produces a lot more energy in the base square than it does via the +1 energy per square bonus in the early game. Plus Wealth gives a bonus to Industry. Build lots of crawlers early on, work and crawl forests to boost minerals and energy. You should be able to easily snag the best early game SPs with a decent starting position.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

That souped up Lal is gonna nick the VW from you though isn't he Dacole
                        Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

heh Don't know yet, maybe maybe not we shall see.

Comment

When I play Morgan, (= when I play SMA(C/X)) I research IndEco first and switch to FM on about the 3rd or 4th turn.
                            #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                            #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

I go FM early BEFORE VW. Rec Commons in each base plus 20% for psych lets you grow to size 3 usually. Helps a lot to get at least +1 commerce per base from one ally. I usually don't pop boom until I get VW or HGP.
                              Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
                              http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X