Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my newbs questions

hi,

1. how to harvest a forest? I dont find any shortcut, do I have to plant a farm?
    2. are the type of damages and armors coded (energy/projectile/...) ?

hey

1. To make a forest a with a former, use shift-f-- you do not need a farm-- you can work this like any other tile

2. This feature was supposed to be part of the game but was not used. I think it might appear in some help files or something but its irrelevant. Combat is resolved by weapon strength versus armour strength ( with applicable midifiers for terrain, sensors, special abilities and with certain exceptions for things like artillery and air interceptors
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Hi,

To answer your questions:
      1) To harvest a forest, build something other than a road, magtube, bunker or sensor on it (thus a farm, solar collector, borehole, echelon mirror or condensor should do the trick)
      shortcuts: farm = f, solar collector = s, Borehole = B [take not that it is capital B, not b], echelon mirror = E, condensor = n
      They should be in the right click menu under the option "terraform...", then a detailed terraform menu pops up.

2) They left out projectile and energy armor attributes.
      For example a plasma steel armor (=3) defends as 3 against laser and projectile weapons alike.

I hope this answers your questions!

Have fun playing!

Comment

While I was typing Flubber already posted the answers.

Sorry for the somewhat double post.

Comment

yup major guz

But I'm thinking that pocus thinks you can harvest a forest for a minerals boon as IIRC you can do in CIV3. That is NOT the case.

In SMAX you can work or crawl a forest like any other tile and you can get rid of it by terraforming something else
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

ah yes, I just wanted to harvest fast a forest, so the minimum turn usage is 3 to plant it, and 3 to put a sensor. Not that interesting then.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
              yup major guz

But I'm thinking that pocus thinks you can harvest a forest for a minerals boon as IIRC you can do in CIV3. That is NOT the case.

In SMAX you can work or crawl a forest like any other tile and you can get rid of it by terraforming something else
              HUH?

see (my bold italics):

Extracted from alphax.txt

10, ; Retool exemption (first X minerals not affected by penalty)
              20, ; Minimum # of turns between councils
              5, ; Minerals for harvesting forest
              8, ; Territory: max distance from base
              20, ; Turns to corner Global Energy Market
              If you remember the old "Mountainman" scenario challenge, that was it - minerals only from planting then harvesting forests

G.

Comment

But to harvest the forest you have to build something else right?

The only 1 turn thing that exists is farm... and ONLY in the Aldebaran mod with Weather Paradigm and Super Former....
                I once was a slave to the Alderbaran 2 project!
                Now I shall work towards cIV:AC!... Oh Wait, that's dead too...
                It's Nword like 'lord' and 'sword'

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie

If you remember the old "Mountainman" scenario challenge, that was it - minerals only from planting then harvesting forests

G.
                  wow learn something new every day . . . How does one "harvest" a forest in smax? I don't recall that option . .. Or is it just something that happens automatically if you terraform something else. does the forest need to be inside a base radii or will it work anywhere in your territory ??

Comment

replace it and you gain the minerals.

Comment

And, the city which gets the minerals is the city that created the former in the first place, not the closest city, or even the city currently using the tile.

Comment

Ahh, I never figured out why the minerals did not go always to the closest cities.

Indeed, as googlie stated, the bonus from a harvested forest is 5 minerals. In civ 3 it is 10, but you can only harvest a forest one time (in civ3 that is).

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus
                          ah yes, I just wanted to harvest fast a forest, so the minimum turn usage is 3 to plant it, and 3 to put a sensor. Not that interesting then.
                          As Major Guz earlier stated, it has to be something other than a road, magtube, bunker or sensor - so a sensor will not do the job.
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                            wow learn something new every day . . . How does one "harvest" a forest in smax? I don't recall that option . .. Or is it just something that happens automatically if you terraform something else. does the forest need to be inside a base radii or will it work anywhere in your territory ??
                            You should listen to your Planetary Ecologist:

From script.txt (SMAC):

#HARVESTFOREST
                            #xs 400
                            #wave 20
                            #caption Planetary Ecologist
                            Forest harvested. $NUM0 minerals returned to $BASENAME0.

That should pop up every time you replace a forest with a different improvement!

Or do we have all our warnings turned off...?

GFC
                            "The first rule of Girlfight Club: No one gossips about Girlfight Club. That means you, Sheryl."
                            -----------------------------
                            Girlfight_club of Toliman has authorized a secret project, "The Planetary Datalinks": http://planetarydatalinks.hub.io

Comment

Working...
                            X