No announcement yet.

XP rejects all attempts to install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You said that you ran setup in compatibility mode, but did you run the compatibility wizard? If not, give it a try. See the following link for details:

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Gave the wizard a try. First I told it to "Use the program in the CD-ROM drive" and when I selected the "Install Alpha Centauri" option the screen went dark for a moment as if something was about to load but then the screen just goes back to normal and the blank DOS window is there.

Is it possible my CD is bad somehow? I should have mentioned before that I just bought it (I used to own an original copy of the game before I loaned it to a friend of mine who dissapeared with it) from a website call allretrogames.com through Amazon.com. The disk looks brand new but its possible they sold me a bad one or something...

Comment

Funny...I have three original Alpha Centauri CDs...so I guess technically I could let two other people download it and firaxis would never actually get gypted...

Comment

This probably won't help, but it's easy to try: Do you have a file named autoexec.nt in your \Windows\System32 folder? If not, is it in \Windows\System32\Repair or somewhere else on your C: drive? Copy it to \Windows\System32, reboot and then try to install again.

(Other problems are associated with autoexec.nt not being in System32.)
          -- Kosh

Comment

I have an autoexec.nt in both folders. doesn't seem to be the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I've been thinking about it an it seems like maybe the CD is bad. Does anyone else think thats possible? If so, I can always contact the seller and ask if they can correct the problem. If they don't offer to help then I can always order another one from amazon (I just found some listing for the original without expansion for only $0.99) and apply for a refund.

I might wait to try that until I hear back from an actual human at EA tech support. So far all I've gotten is automatic responces based on keywords in my complaint.

Comment

Maybe a stupid question, but do you have the newest activeX version and have you the newest driver for your video card ?

Another wild guess - do you have virus check and was that active during a VC update ? that can prevent driver update.

Hope you get it working - it's difficult living witout SMAC/X
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yup. Those should be up to date. I know my video card driver is up to date because I had to update that just recently because of a problem with Planetside.

I don't hardly ever use a virus scan. I did do that recently though just to mkae sure a virus wan't involved.

Seriously, anyone think it could be my CD?

Comment

Originally posted by Raltar

Seriously, anyone think it could be my CD?
                  Well, that's a possibilty, but you said that you successfully coped the CD to your hard drive. If you could do that, the CD probably has no physical problems.

Can you read the CD in Windows Explorer? What happens if you double-click on one of the .txt or .hlp files on the CD? Do they launch?

Here's another idea: Start a command prompt and then launch setup.exe from there. Perhaps you'll get a helpful error message.
                  -- Kosh

Comment

WTF! I have no idea why, but running the setup program from the command prompt works! As usual, my computer problems defy all logic.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Glad to hear you're up and running! We get lots of problems that never seem to get resolved. Makes me think twice about buying a new system.

It appears that the SMAC setup program still depends on DOS. Perhaps the command prompt provides some additional resource (file handles, environment space, ??) that was otherwise lacking.
                      -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by livid imp

How many partitions on how much space?
                        Currently a 200gb split 32/32/136 and a 40gb. Since you asked, I expect to be completely outdone.
                        #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                        #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Originally posted by Raltar
                          WTF! I have no idea why, but running the setup program from the command prompt works! As usual, my computer problems defy all logic.

Thanks everyone!
                          Just to let you know, you don't have to keep installing the game. Once you have it installed, just move the folder around. The game still runs perfectly, at least in my case.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                          X