Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP rejects all attempts to install

When I bought my new system, I just trusted the advice of
    the "experts" and immediately installed SP2 on XP home.
    Now, when I try to install SMAC planetary pack, i get this
    "an error occured during the move data process : -117" at
    about 82% of the install process. I have since been trying
    to find patches for this, but most of the old sites no longer
    exist. This is not the first time I've had to abandon an old
    game for a new system, but I'm finding it extremely difficult
    to let go of this one.
    BTW, the compatibility wizard had no effect on the move
    data error. Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't installed SMAC for ages, my copy just exists on the hard drive between Windows wipes (yes, I'm a partitioning freak). Find someone with a comp that'll install it and copy the result over.
    #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
    #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

The error message points to a problem with the installation CD. Clean the CD and and try again. If still no joy, try to copy the CD to your hard drive and run the installation from there.

HTH
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

Thank you, that was it. Once, I knew where to find error
        codes. Now I can find my way through the rest!

Comment

Originally posted by #endgame
          yes, I'm a partitioning freak
          How many partitions on how much space?
          "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
          "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
          "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
          "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

hi, i'm having the exact same problem.
            except i uninstalled sp2 last night lol
            i just fixed the AUTOEXEC.NT file thingy after THREE days, NOW THIS... i've tried cleaning the cd, but still nothing, i'm burning the cd 2 my pc as we speak, hopefully this'll work

Comment

Hi, i'm still having no luck, can someone please help ???
              I get this error message As SOON AS i begin to install SMAC
              "An error occured during the move data process - 117"
              That is the whole error message
              please help

My Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Maltease14
                Hi, i'm still having no luck, can someone please help ???
                I get this error message As SOON AS i begin to install SMAC
                "An error occured during the move data process - 117"
                That is the whole error message
                please help

My Thanks in advance
                What happened when you tried to copy the installation CD to your HD (as was mentioned in your previous post)? Same error?

Does your CD-ROM drive have problems with other discs?

Do you have access to another computer where you can test the installation CD?

Check the CD for fingerprints or scratches. If present try to clean (I know that you already tried this, but try again).

Google on your error message ("occurred" is misspelled in your last post, though, so fix that). You'll find lots of suggestions.
                "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                -- Kosh

Comment

Also clean your optical drive (CD or DVD). The head may be dirty.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Similar problem

I'm having a problem installing the game on a windows XP system also but I'm not getting any error message. Rather when I put the CD in and select the "Install Alpha Centauri" all that happens is a blank DOS window comes up and sits there doing nothing until I close it. Nothing else happens. I've tried running the setup.exe file in compatibility mode but the result is the same. Same again when I copied all the files to my hard drive. The CD is a brand new copy of "Aplha Centauri Planetary Pack" and is not scrached or dirty at all.

My system looks like this:
                    Windows XP Pro
                    AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz
                    1GB RAM
                    ATI Radeon X850 Pro 64MB
                    Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
                    10,000rpm 80GB Western Digital Hard Drive

I've sent this information to EA tech support but so far all I've gotten is automated messages in reply.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the game to install? Or even do anything at all?

Comment

Have somebody e-mail it to you...while I don't know if it will work, its an idea...

Comment

Well, I would be willing to try that just to see if it would work if anyone out there is willing to email me the game.

I'm not in a huge hurry to just go around asking people to email me the game though... In the past when I've seen people ask for this on an online forum it usually just results in lots of people shouting thing like:

Person1:"What!? I had to pay for my copy of the game! I'm not giving you a free one!"

Person2:"But I did pay for it! I'm just asking if anyone would send it to me because my CD isn't working properly..."

Person1:"Liar! I don't beleive you! You just want a free copy of the game!"

Comment

What other programs you have running?

I had a strange problem with XP. After I installed and attached a Chinese input method, Alien Crossfire crashes. I detached the input method just for a lark, and the game starts working again.

So it can be the setup program is conflicting with something you have running on the machine.
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

No luck. I tried shutting down everything running in the background and even turned off some of the programs that run in the background when I start up my computer. No change at all.

If it helps at all heres what the "blank" DOS window looks like:
                            Last edited by Martin Gühmann; February 2, 2013, 19:06.

Comment

The thing is, such a program doesn't have to be running. In my case, having it attached to Windows was sufficient to crash Alien Crossfire

I was a bit lucky because I happened to test run the game right afterward, so I could easily pinpoint the cause, even though it is bloody illogical.

Comment

Working...
                              X