Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planetary pack: SMAC works, SMACX doesn't.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planetary pack: SMAC works, SMACX doesn't.

XP, Service Pack 2. Installed Planetary Pack. Tried with and without the 1.03f patch for "XP compatibility".

terran.exe works.
    terranx.exe pops up a window saying "access denied".

Any hints? ForceOldVoxel=1 is set, and, well, terran.exe runs fine.

Does it run from the Planetary Pack startup?
    I once was a slave to the Alderbaran 2 project!
    Now I shall work towards cIV:AC!... Oh Wait, that's dead too...
    It's Nword like 'lord' and 'sword'

Comment

Nope, same effect. Planetary Pack startup goes away, I get a little box that says "Access Denied".

My original install from the CD gives me tiny (250k) files named terran.exe and terranx.exe. Installing the 1.03f patch makes terran.exe about 3MB, and doesn't touch terranx.exe... But either way, terran.exe works fine, terranx.exe doesn't.

Comment

download backup SMAC/X here:

-- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I am using the Planetary Pack on XP afer doing the =1 thing and putting in noCD terran and noCD terranx exe files in place of the old terran and terranx files.

Last I made 2 new shortcuts to each file on my desktop and all works.
          You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
          There is a reason for everything.

Comment

So, the hypothesis is that it's the copy protection biting me? This sounds sort of familiar, and explains the error message. I downloaded the noCD executables, I'll see how it runs. I actually have a CD emulator anyway on my laptop, so it's not as if I can't provide the CD... But I've seen a lot of copy protection code fail anyway under XP.

Comment

Working...
            X