Trouble installing Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble installing Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack

Hey, sorry for another installation post, but after all these helpful tips, I still can't seem to get it to install. It hangs when I click on "reinstall alpha centauri", and when i open the cd-rom drive and try to run the installation file it won't do anything at all...i've attempted using the compatibility wizard and none of the settings on it worked. Here are my system specs:

1.7 GHz Pentium 4
    256MB Ram
    32Meg Nvidia Geforce 2

Re: Trouble installing Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack

Originally posted by Ayreonium
    It hangs when I click on "reinstall alpha centauri"
    General Windows hint.....those CD auto play screens are buggy as hell. Just open the CD in explorer and execute the setup.exe (it is important that the auto play has not run since the last reboot). If that file wont even start up, then you either have a bad CD, or Windows is blown and you might have to reinstall. But more likely it just can't read the CD.
    "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
    "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
    "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

I figured the CD was just bad, because it reads other CDs just fine, and I have tried to open up the file through explorer, nothing happens. Thanks. And if anyone else has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayreonium
        I figured the CD was just bad, because it reads other CDs just fine, and I have tried to open up the file through explorer, nothing happens. Thanks. And if anyone else has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
        Try copying the contents of the CD to your hard drive. If the CD is bad, the copy operation might fail, and then you'd know that's the problem. If the copy is successful, then run setup from the hard drive and see what happens.
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

I tried your suggestion, and it copied all the files to the hard drive perfectly...however, when i double click the setup.exe file, it doesn't do anything. Any other suggestions? Thank you for your help.

Comment

Have you tried waiting for awhile (10 or 15 minutes, say) after double-clicking on setup.exe? If not, that might be worth a shot to see if the program eventually loads.

I found this thread on another site that discusses some possible solutions to your problem:

In your first post, you mentioned that the install hung when you selected the "Reinstall Alpha Centauri" option. Do you also see the "Install Alpha Centauri" option on this screen? According to the Install Guide the Install option doesn't appear if the game is already installed. If this is what you're seeing, perhaps you have a corrupt or failed installation that's causing the problem.

Hope you figure this out!
            -- Kosh

Comment

The game has been installed before on this computer, a while back, and I believe it has since then been deleted instead of uninstalled. That would explain the reinstall button, but I don't know why it won't respond. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Starting to sound like a registry problem. If you have the know-how and/or nutz to regedit, clear out all SMAC references in the reg. Then try to reinstall.
                "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
                "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
                "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
                "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

I have the nutz, but not the know how...do you know where all the references would be when i run regedit? If not that's fine, but any help you could give would be excellent.

Comment

There is a little utility called RegClean that will do the job of deleting unlinked or otherwise spoiled registry entries. It's available for download from several sites, so search for regclean in your engine of choice and select a site with which you're comfortable.
                    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

I used Regclean and the same things happens when i attempt to install the game.

Comment

Here're some other things to try (if you haven't already):

You said that you ran the XP compatibility wizard, but you might want to try again (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../appcompat.asp).

Someone else had the same problem in this thread:

and the compatibility wizard solved the problem.

Do you still have the option to uninstall "Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri" under Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel? If so, it probably won't run, but try it see what happens.

Use Regedit to delete the key

HKLM\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri (and all subkeys).

Also delete the Alien Crossfire key, if it exists.

Change screen resolution to something like 640x480 or 800x600 and colors to 256 (assuming that you're currently running at a higher resolution and #colors).

Delete all files in your Temp folder.

Run Scandisk and Defrag.

End task all nonessential running processes (might want to disconnect from the Internet beforehand), then run setup.
                        -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
                        X