Trouble with Multiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Multiplayer

My buddy and I just dug up SMAC and were hoping to play some MP against each other over the Internet (TCP/IP) but we can't get it to work!

We are both using windows XP and have the v4.0 patch and win XP patch. We told our firewalls to unblock SMAC and set our Routers' DMZ to both our respective computers so there shouldn't be anything blocking us... when we go to log into a game, the 'joiner' finds the host's game and can join it, but then it waits for awhile and then fails to connect.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? We really want to give this a try, but it is driving us crazy! I've been able to do it within my network here between my two computers (win 98 and win xp), but across the Internet it doesn't seem to work.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks,
    Haesten

Turn off your firewalls for a monment. Try to connect SMAC. If you can connect then, it is your firewall....get to tweaking it. If not, don't know what to tell you, never successfully run a IP game.
    "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
    "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
    "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Put ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1 in your ini file.

Your CPU is not recognized but after clicking OK it loads the older SMAC.
      You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
      There is a reason for everything.

Comment

hmm... I do have the ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1 in my ini file (SMAC wouldn't even run without) and I've mucked about with my firewall to get it to work, but I haven't tried just turning it off completely, maybe that will work.

Thanks for the advice guys. If you have any other ideas, let me know!

Comment

Working...
        X