Musings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musings

I was wondering, since Reynolds is the true genius behind SMAC, is there any word on a future/space mod for RON? That would be an interesting endeavour.

Re: Musings

RON is basically a RTS from what I understand. Being that RTSs tend to run faster than a TBS game does, they tend to lack the detail you see in SMAC. I have never been a RTS fan, and I doubt RON would change that.

Incidentally, I was not happy with the whole SMAC space theme when it first was released. I was a die-hard Civ2 fan and wanted an Earth based setting. Since then I have come to appreciate the artistic freedom a space theme provides. How could they have done any thing like Xenofungus otherwise?
    "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
    "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
    "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Bleh, RTS
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Time to open an RTT market.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I agree, RTS games are a sorry lot. The graphics always please, but the gameplay is nothing short of a click fest. What drew me to SMAC was its theme, which few companies have explored, none like Firaxis. My only quibble with most turn based games is the graphics. They invariably lag so far behind other games that it dooms them from the start. They
          need not be bleeding edge, but many could do better. SMAC is one of the few games that stays on my hard drive, but it would be nice to have it updated. The only drawback to sequels is the tendancy to fix the parts that didn't need fixing and ignore those that did! That and the fact that too few companies go with turn based games, makes the near future bleak indeed. It will probably be another round of rehashed fantasy kingdoms and warmed over expansion packs. At least SMAC can still be found. What else is everyone playing.?

Comment

Civ2 and SMAC, of course. Occasionally MoO2.

I liked HoMM III, but IV is a clickfest. I liked Warlords II, but III, Battlecry, etc are clickfests. So I still play HoMM III and Warlords II at times. Good, simple games.
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

SMAC, SMAC, SMAC!

Though I tried MOO3 for awhile...
              "Hey, my fastest starship ain't quicker than my settlers!" hee hee heh heh grrrr

And I still sometimes have a recurring psychotic addiction to Imperialism 1. What with that?

GFC
              "The first rule of Girlfight Club: No one gossips about Girlfight Club. That means you, Sheryl."
              -----------------------------
              Girlfight_club of Toliman has authorized a secret project, "The Planetary Datalinks": http://planetarydatalinks.hub.io

Comment

Who owns the rights to SMAC though, Reynolds or Firaxis? You could write an email to Firaxis and ask them. I've gotten replies from them in the past.
                Aldebaran 2.1 for Smax is in Beta Testing. Join us for our first Succession Game

Comment

Working...
                X