sound problem with smac4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound problem with smac4.0

I just recently re-installed Alpha Centauri on my computer (which runs win98) and it was working fine until I decided to patch it with the 4.0 patch. Now I have no sound in the game, no voices, no sound effects, no music, nothing. Has this ever happened to anyone else before and is there a solution?

To see whether its really the 4.0 patch, there'll be a terran.old (or terranx.old for SMAX) file in the Alpha Centauri directory. Take the current terran executable and move it somewhere, rename the .old file to .exe, and try running it.

If the sound comes back, then its probably because of 4.0. If not, sound must be turned off in the configuration files (.ini) somewhere, or perhaps in preferences.
    Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
    The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
    Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
    We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

I couldn't find a terran.old file perhaps I'm not installing the patch correctly? I simply extracted all the files into my Alpha Centauri directory.

I'm sure it's the patch though because I tried uninstalling and re-installing the game and the same thing happened.

Comment

I suffered the same problem, and so used V2 for a while. I fixed it by getting a new computer.
        "Cutlery confused Stalin"
        -BBC news

Comment

oh dear, that doesn't sound very encouraging.

Comment

hmm, I haven't figured out how to use it. But if you have XP, you can use that feature that turns back the clock on your computer. Great for undoing bad things.

Have you messed around with that one line in the .ini file? I used to have to mess with that to get the sound to work right. You can only change it to 0 or 1.

Comment

which line in which ini dissident? that sounds like something worth pursuing but if you could be more specific that would be a great help.

Comment

Originally posted by happyfresh
                which line in which ini dissident? that sounds like something worth pursuing but if you could be more specific that would be a great help.
                He might have been referring to the lines

ds3d=1
                eax=1

in Alpha Centauri.ini. If not present, add them. Then play around with changing the values (must equal 0 or 1, as previously noted).

If this doesn't work, look at the readme.txt. It has other tips for troubleshooting sound problems.

HTH

Petek
                "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by Petek

He might have been referring to the lines

ds3d=1
                  eax=1

in Alpha Centauri.ini. If not present, add them. Then play around with changing the values (must equal 0 or 1, as previously noted).

If this doesn't work, look at the readme.txt. It has other tips for troubleshooting sound problems.

HTH

Petek

Had same problem....SMAC under win98SE with DirectX 9

Had a system crash, re-installed Windows, then SMAC, then performed 4.0 update and lost in-game sound...intro sound and "movies" sound still worked.

Read this thread...edited Alpha Centauri.ini....changed the two values above to zero.

Sound restored!

Hope this helps someone in the future.
                  I think, therefore I am.....overqualified

Comment

Working...
                  X