Limit on bases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit on bases?

I've recently heard an unverified statement that there is a limit of 256 bases...

Is this a fact or not? I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it were
    I once was a slave to the Alderbaran 2 project!
    Now I shall work towards cIV:AC!... Oh Wait, that's dead too...
    It's Nword like 'lord' and 'sword'

If so, I don't think it really matters, because I highly doubt anyone is going to want to build that many bases. Although with ICSing, I guess it isn't such an uncommon thought...

Ultimately, once you have that many bases, a turn may take 10 hours if played right. If you have that many bases, the game isn't fun anymore and probably is already won...

And most computers would either freeze or crash with that huge of a map...

Comment

That still doesn't give me a real answer...

The map does NOT have to be very big at all... Huge is MORE than large enough for it.... And my aged computer can handle massive maps as well, i.e. 256x192 and larger WILL work...

So doesn't someone know?

Comment

If I'm not mistaken (and trust me, I'm no expert), 256 is the maximum base size before... stuff happens or something.

Since I personally never managed to achieve over 60 peeps in a base, I wouldn't really know, but I think that's it.
        "I'm too young and too male to be the mother of a seventeen year old female me!"

Comment

127 is the max base size.... Any increase over that and the size goes to -127...

I'm asking about number of bases.

Comment

Well, If we pack bases maximum tight - ICS1x1 (4 tiles/base), then it's 256*4 = 1024 tiles
            If we asssume it's huge map (8192 tiles) and ~50% land (4096 tiles) then you're taking up 1/4th from the world's territory!

Why in the hell you want to do that!
            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Because it's stress relieving...

When I allow for full spacing each base is technically 25 squares....

So that's 25x256= 6400... which is 80 sqrd, but you still have the extra tiles at the edge of the map if you do it perfectly... And quick rumination concludes thinking of the map as 16 x 16 squares of 25 tiles, and 16x6x2 for extra squares at the map edges

6400 + 192 = 6592 = not a perfect square... But 103x64... or in the alphax.txt file 64x103 which yields 127, 102 as the square in the lower right corner... But that's not gonna fit my 5x5 squares on it perfectly... And this paragraph is all irrelevant

The 6592 forgot something, the bases on the edge are only 22 squares if lined up perfectly. So that's 3x16x2 extra squares; 96 squares. 6496? Whatever... I can just turn the extra land into a nice green forest

D'oh, the edge bases only lose one square.... whatever....

And of course, with the supplementary terraforming and solar shade, I'll have all land at this point. (and extended retirement)

Simply put, does anyone know for sure or not?
              Last edited by Lord Nword; September 7, 2004, 15:50.

Comment

In conclusion, there doesn't appear to be a limit of 256 bases... there might be a higher one, but I don't know it. Simple testing of my current game where I had 90 or so bases, creating CPs at every base for a few turns and building a ton of bases.

On the other hand, Around 200 bases, I got Bureacracy (spelling i think) warning for going over 64 bases.... That's implying a lot more conquered bases than I thought I had... And so, it's possible that conquered bases do not count towards your total number of bases...

Also have to wonder if the CPs/Bases created from conquered bases even count towards ur Bureacracy efficiency...

I'll finish my testing later by going up to 1024 bases or so...

Comment

The maximum number of bases is 511 or 512 (it has been a few years since I maxed the number of bases; I remember 512, but 511 would be logical as the size of a bianary resgister). Unlike civ2, where you get the message "Too many cities", you do not get a message while trying build an excess base, you just push the key and noting happens. I will go look for an old save on my smac-x install to if I can check whether it is 511 or 512.
                  Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                  Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                  "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                  From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Lefty Scaevola , is that you in your avatar?
                    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

The instant way to test this is simply to go to the scenario editor, and create 512 colony pods all over the map.
                      Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                      The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                      Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                      We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
                        Lefty Scaevola , is that you in your avatar?
                        It is indeed, the resolution for the avatar makes it very difficult to see my monacle in my right eye.

On a related smac note, the register for the numver of trascendent thought techs you can get seems to be faily large, at least 11 bianry digits (4095). I have got up to around 3000 of them in max out games.
                        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

It is indeed, the resolution for the avatar makes it very difficult to see my monacle in my right eye.
                          I couldn't ever imagine that so old people use Poly..

Comment

My hair is not quite so white as appears in the pic, which was taken in very bright sun, it is more of a salt and pepper color. Of course, Gaius Mucius Scaevola WAS born around 530 BC.

Comment

My hair is not quite so white as appears in the pic, which was taken in very bright sun, it is more of a salt and pepper color. Of course, Gaius Mucius Scaevola WAS born around 530 BC.
                              Well, then how old are you?
                              I suppose not 2534 yrs..

Comment

Working...
                              X