Which faction gets the reward for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which faction gets the reward for...

Which faction has the best base names? Whos the winner out of SMAC, and who's the human winner of SMAX? And which of the aliens have the best base names?

For me, since I am a gaian, I love Deidre's names, they're very poetic. In SMAX, Id choose eithre Aki or Roze, because Aki's sound really cool (cyborg-like), while Roze's are more stylish and sound realy cyberpunk.

Aliens are tougher, though. I hate to choose between close sides. But I'd go caretaker since thats where my ideologies are

All I know is that Morgans/Peacekeepers name are horriable!!! Morgan this, U.N. that ... makes you sick.

I would say a tie between Univeristy and Gaians.
    Once in a while / I'm standing here, doing something / And I think / What in the world am I doing here? / It's a big surprise -- Donald Rumsfield, interview with the New York Times, May 16, 2001

Comment

I'm with you on the Gaians. I don't really like any of the factions or so called improvements in SMAX so I can't comment.

Comment

Roze's are nice, though the list is short. I added quite a few to the list for my own benefit.
        "Cutlery confused Stalin"
        -BBC news

Comment

Yeah, I'd have to go with the Gaians and the Angels as well.

Personally, though, I think the Cybernetic base names are completely uninspired. They're all [Letter from Greek alphabet] [Kind of terrain]. I think perhaps the Firaxis staff tackled the Cybernetic names last and were running out of base name creativity by then.
          "I'm too young and too male to be the mother of a seventeen year old female me!"

Comment

Morgan names are awesome.

Comment

I don't really like the standard names although some of the Pirates are good. In PBEMs I will often name my own bases. It can actually be great fun naming bases and landmarks when in a war with another human ( assuming you both see the humor in it). In one game we even got into naming our units with little jibes at each other
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

most of the names suck. yet I never rename them. interesting.

I'd have to go with the Pirates though. Some of theirs are quite cool. Although I think the capitol city name is stupid

Comment

It matters not to me. When I play, I name all my bases:
                  Enigma's Conception
                  Enigma's Vision
                  Enigma's Judgement
                  Enigma's Theory
                  Enigma's Wisdom
                  etc.

Comment

I've adopted skanky's naming pattern, coresponding to that cities position on the grid.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
                      I've adopted skanky's naming pattern, coresponding to that cities position on the grid.
                      I can just see the holobook '100 Names for your new drone child if living between bases E-1 and F-7'
                      Aldebaran 2.1 for Smax is in Beta Testing. Join us for our first Succession Game

Comment

I name all my bases after the worlds of ZZT, then make up my own:

Town of ZZT
                        Caves of ZZT
                        City of ZZT
                        Dungeons of ZZT
                        #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                        #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

I really love the Cultists name "Concordate of Worms". But perhaps only because I'm German. (Do a Google search to know why)
                          Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Often I name bases based on their strategic area.

For example, the first base I capture from the enemy in his main territory that will allow me to finally easily transfer troops to land and fight from land, would be called "Foothold Base" or something.

I often build a base across an isthmus, so ships can pass through, so I call it "West Sea Gate" or "Isthmus Passage" or something like that.
                            Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                            The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                            Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                            We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Originally posted by WotanAnubis
                              Personally, though, I think the Cybernetic base names are completely uninspired. They're all [Letter from Greek alphabet] [Kind of terrain]. I think perhaps the Firaxis staff tackled the Cybernetic names last and were running out of base name creativity by then.
                              I don't think this was a lack of creativity on the part of Firaxis. I think the names are SUPPOSED to be boring. They are purely functional, like "7 of 9" as a Borg name.

Comment

Working...
                              X