Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is AI behavior effected by removing SE preferences/aversions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is AI behavior effected by removing SE preferences/aversions?

anyone done any tests on this?

Re: How is AI behavior effected by removing SE preferences/aversions?

Originally posted by Whoha
    Hi Whoha,

t-ras has set up several games with all the Factions SE settings set to zero. They were the "Race to Transcendence" series. I played Gaians in one of the games. Essentially the Gaians still got +2 nuts out of fungus, and still had their initial mindworm capture, but otherwise they were a tough Faction to play. The Believers were very powerful, IMO, as they still had their +25% attack bonus, but didn't have their -20% research penalty. The Believers, under Brother Flubber, ended up winning the version I played in. FYI.
    All in all I wouldn't recommend it for a PBEM format again. FYI.

D

Comment

Erm I mean that the gaians don't have the restriction on fm, and don't have a preference for green. or have the aliens not prefer planned. How does the ai react and pick se choices, or is that a choice they make depending on the situation, I tend to not give in to ai demands so they go to war and stagnate in fundy/planned.

Comment

I tend to not give in to ai demands so they go to war and stagnate in fundy/planned.

You can stagnate with planned? You usually boom with it.
        Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
        The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
        Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
        We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Erm I mean that the gaians don't have the restriction on fm, and don't have a preference for green. or have the aliens not prefer planned. How does the ai react and pick se choices, or is that a choice they make depending on the situation, I tend to not give in to ai demands so they go to war and stagnate in fundy/planned.
          Can't really tell you anything about this. Ask t-ras, as he probably playtested the scenarios before submitting them for PBEM play.

D

Comment

I haven't removed SE Prefs/Adversions, but I did make a complete set of "peaceful" versions of the 14 standard factions. They would still go to war at the drop of a hat, they difference was that they were more likely seek peace after only minor losses.
            "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
            "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
            "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
            "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Originally posted by Natalinasmpf
              I tend to not give in to ai demands so they go to war and stagnate in fundy/planned.

63 years to a tech and all cities expending all of their minerals on support = stagnating ai

Comment

Originally posted by Natalinasmpf

The AI can do anything. Well, anything wrong.
                "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                -BBC news

Comment

Re: How is AI behavior effected by removing SE preferences/aversions?

Apparently not.

I've done this with modded AI factions, but never with the original factions. Here's what I found for myself:

At first I thought that the AI wouldn't choose SE choices that didn't fit with their preferred SE ability. For instance, Miriam likes Probes. Will she run other SE's that have nothing to do with Probes? The answer is yes. In fact, I didn't see any connection between a faction's SE choices and their preferred SE ability.

Secondly, AI without preferences seemed easier to bargain with, even compared to AI with compatible SE situations to my own. This could use more testing for sure. I would suspect that having 6 AI factions with no SE preferences or aversions would be a bit more challenging for the player b/c the AI will find it easier to make peace and pacts among themselves, more quickly forming a united front against a dominating player. On the other hand, a diplomatic player should find it easier to keep the peace and trade tech. By keeping the player's SE aversions/preferences and discarding the AI's, at least there will be some grumbling by the AI.
                  Aldebaran 2.1 for Smax is in Beta Testing. Join us for our first Succession Game

Comment

Re: Re: How is AI behavior effected by removing SE preferences/aversions?

Originally posted by Darsnan

Hi Whoha,

t-ras has set up several games with all the Factions SE settings set to zero. They were the "Race to Transcendence" series. I played Gaians in one of the games. Essentially the Gaians still got +2 nuts out of fungus, and still had their initial mindworm capture, but otherwise they were a tough Faction to play. The Believers were very powerful, IMO, as they still had their +25% attack bonus, but didn't have their -20% research penalty. The Believers, under Brother Flubber, ended up winning the version I played in. FYI.
                    All in all I wouldn't recommend it for a PBEM format again. FYI.

D
                    Iwon that game but it had nothing to do with my skills ( I replaced someone that left the faction in GREAT shape) and it seemed to have little to do with the Believers attributes, other than the fact that research was at 0. It was a weird game and not recommended.

AS for the initial question, I have not worked on this and don't know if anyone else has either. I would agree that it should make diplomacy easier but overall , I find most AI behavior so unremittingly idiotic that I don't spend much time trying to figure them out
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                    X