Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I make the random map generator less retarded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I make the random map generator less retarded?

I select 128x128 as size, and start within a screens distance of 3 other factions. all of whom started on crappily formed islands so they only have a few cities.

Thats the other thing, how can I make the map generator make fewer larger more rounded islands that actually give the factions some room to be something other then a minor annoyance?

See Smacksim's thread in the creation forum for making the worldbuilder section of alpha.txt work better. I also posted a thread in there that has a heavily modified version of alpha.txt, which also incorporates Smacksim's worldbuilder section. Try it out! I've gotten 2 of my most challenging games in years out of that alpha.txt version. But of course, remember to always keep a copy of the original alpha.txt.

Smacksim's tutorial of making a better worldbuilder:

My modified alpha.txt that incorporates these worldbuilder modifications (among other things ):

Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Neat, thanks.

Comment

How would this affect random map generation on multiplayer games?
        Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
        The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
        Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
        We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Same way that it would affect SP games, I assume. If you mean, how would multiplayer games be better using Smacksim's worldbuilder, there are several benefits:

1. AI factions will have better continents, and thus will be a little tougher
          2. Sizable oceans in between the continents would make air attacks more difficult
          3. Overall amount of rainfall and rivers is likely to be more, so the game would progress more quickly.

And there are probably other things that would be better too.
          Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Hmm, a bit unrelated, but I thought I'd ask here, if I change the factions around and I host the game, the other players in the MP game would follow my settings, right?
            Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
            The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
            Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
            We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

they'd need the same files as you I think.

Comment

Alright it worked, normal sized continents.

Comment

Yep, and I think the maps with Smacksim's worldbuilder generally look more appealing too, with more steep valleys, tall peaks, and rivers and such. And the AI plays better on them, it seems.

Comment

Working...
                  X