Sunspot activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunspot activity

Hello everyone!! I'm new around here and i really like this place. I have played SMAC since 2000. I currently play in the Talent difficulty (yeah... 4 years playing and only advenced 3 levels but I really HATE to lose in this game).

Well I hope that somebody can answer my question: What can I really DO under Sunspot activity??

And another thing... Anyone have experienced a "Volcano Eruption" in the game??
    Wake me up when something interesting happens... zzzZZZzzz

Under sunspots, you can commit most atrocities without other factions finding out. However, atrocities committed directly against another faction will cause them to hate you forever, and everyone can detect Planet Busters, always.

Volcanic eruptions aren't real common, but do happen. Enjoy your new Mt. Planet.

If you hang around here a bit, you'll be mowing down Transcendi AIs in no time!
    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
    -BBC news

Comment

Ok thanks for that.

But I think I wasn't specific about the volcano question. I said "eruption". Not a new volcano on the map, it was a real eruption of the existing one (dust clouds reduces -1energy/square in ALL bases in planet for the nex 10 years and all the land around the volcano turns into rocky squares)

Sorry to repeat the question but I was really shocked to see that (again, 4 years playing and this game continues to suprise me).

Comment

Now that I have never seen.

Comment

#BIGFATVOLCANO
          #xs 440
          #caption Chief Planetologist
          Major Volcanic Eruption near $BASENAME0! Massive
          casualties and property damage! Dust clouds will
          reduce global energy production for next ten years.

#EATTHIS
          #xs 440
          Major Asteroid Strike near $BASENAME0! Massive
          casualties! Dust clouds will reduce global energy
          production for next ten years.

#NOMOREDUST
          #xs 440
          Dust clouds have abated; energy production has
          returned to normal.

Form script file. Interesting, I must admit. I never experienced volcanic eruption, even as I ve seen asteroid strikes about twenty to thirty times.
          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Hmm, I wonder what happens to bases planted at the mouth of volcanoes when that happens...
            -BBC news

Comment

They are automatically renamed Pompeii
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Nothing happens, I've had this message a couple of times, for me the one I've never had was the asteroid strike.

Comment

However, atrocities committed directly against another faction will cause them to hate you forever, and everyone can detect Planet Busters, always.
                  What about nerve stapling of captured bases?

Also; can orbital defense pods or flechette defence defend against asteroids? I mean, thats the whole idea of the Space Wars program, no?
                  Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                  The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                  Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                  We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

I have experienced the volcano thing and the asteroid strike but that was a looonng time ago. Since 99% of my playing is now PBEM, the default setting is for random events to be off.
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Also; can orbital defense pods or flechette defence defend against asteroids? I mean, thats the whole idea of the Space Wars program, no?
                      Don't think so. An asteroid strike is a Random Event, so you can't defend against it.

Comment

If you nerve staple a captured base during sunspots, no sanctions will be imposed, but the former owner (observable through the base's graphics) will hate you forever, as you committed an atrocity against that faction.
                        -BBC news

Comment

By the way, I've been noticing how much an exploit it is to reverse trade bases.

Nothing like exchanging the same base twice (ie. switch captured base A for Ally's base B, then trade B for A) to get rid of its "conquered" status.

Trade before sunspots, nerve staple during!
                          Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                          The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                          Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                          We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Switching bases with the AI? I can't remember doing so offen for the monumental pain (demands) the AI let you go through.
                            He who knows others is wise.
                            He who knows himself is enlightened.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

If I remember Geo, it's easier at easier levels to swap bases...
                              Aldebaran 2.1 for Smax is in Beta Testing. Join us for our first Succession Game

Comment

Working...
                              X